70810 - MetalBeard's Sea Cow

Brickbuilder.g

On January 31, 2016 at 6:21 PM, ChristopherJB said:

The set that may catch people off guard would be the ewok village. I see that the attention on the EV has disappeared, for 2 reason, either the horde already got their fill of the EV, or that set is junk.

I don't think the Slave I has been piled into as much as you think. There are more people jumping onto the PS and PR than Slave and EV.

A few posters here were telling us to buy the Sea Cow since it first came out. If you go back further, there were some people piling into the Sea Cow. So this came to no surprise to some and they are slowly counting their profits now. The Sea Cow is the most unique and coolest boat out there. But if you think further outside the box, there are also no other sets like the Ewok Village. The EV has trees linked together, no other lego sets have such a design. I would lump these two together for uniqueness.

I think a lot of these people who are new to  Lego investing cannot keep up with all these since retiring especially since they were anticipating a quicker return on their investment. So Ewok village would be one of the first I think that a lot of these new investors just cannot keep up with. Slave II is the next one in line.  A lot of people have Tumblers and Petshop and other set stored away and just simply cannot keep 'investing' like this. Aside from the quickflippers who may have a 5-10% margin, I honestly think this Lego investing workd will see a significant change, maybe even somewhat back to what things used to be 3-4 years ago. Just like real estate went crazy 10 years, then adjusted to where we are today

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dr. Brick said:

Aside from the quickflippers who may have a 5-10% margin, I honestly think this Lego investing workd will see a significant change, maybe even somewhat back to what things used to be 3-4 years ago. Just like real estate went crazy 10 years, then adjusted to where we are today

I am not sure how viable on keep buying the "exclusive" sets are anymore. Everyone and their dog is doing the same thing with articles being written about investing in Lego is better than gold. How many of these $400+ sets can you sell in a year? The target audience is dwindling to the rich and serious collectors. Then comes the worry of fraud on these high end sets. Having a few are nice, but not sure about being a major portion of a portfolio. 

Where as if you can pick the right ones under the radar sets at MSRP between $25-60 hope it appreciates to $50-100+ set where it is still affordable to most grand/parents, uncles, aunties, god mother/fathers etc. buying these as gifts for kids you maintain the huge intended audiance. You can probably flip more of these and have less headache with storage. Perfect example from 2015 is probably 75920 Raptors Escape. Yes it was a Wal-mart exclusive but there were plenty available in Q4 of 2015 for people to load up. Those saw the opportunity were able to cash in during the summer shortage and Christmas madness. Today, this set is going for $95 on Amazon, yes a dropped from it's peak but still much higher than MSRP. 

This year, I am keeping watch with sets in this price range and load up on it and reduce the amount of $200+ sets.

Edited by tacsniper
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, tacsniper said:

I am not sure how viable on keep buying the "exclusive" sets are anymore. Everyone and their dog is doing the same thing with articles being written about investing in Lego is better than gold. How many of these $400+ sets can you sell in a year? The target audience is dwindling to the rich and serious collectors. Then comes the worry of fraud on these high end sets. Having a few are nice, but not sure about being a major portion of a portfolio. 

Where as if you can pick the right ones under the radar sets at MSRP between $25-60 hope it appreciates to $50-100+ set where it is still affordable to most grand/parents, uncles, aunties, god mother/fathers etc. buying these as gifts for kids you maintain the huge intended audiance. You can probably flip more of these and have less headache with storage. Perfect example from 2015 is probably 75920 Raptors Escape. Yes it was a Wal-mart exclusive but there were plenty available in Q4 of 2015 for people to load up. Those saw the opportunity were able to cash in during the summer shortage and Christmas madness. Today, this set is going for $95 on Amazon, yes a dropped from it's peak but still much higher than MSRP. 

This year, I am keeping watch with sets in this price range and load up on it and reduce the amount of $200+ sets.

I'm actually doing the exact opposite. As more and more 'investors' won't be able to keep buying these expensive sets they have to sit on for 3-4 years fewer will be sold and I think Lego may eventually produce fewer of them. I'm doing this as a hobby but have a quite larger portfolio of 4000+ sets and I just have the time either to flip or focus on smaller sets. Just my $0.02 and to each their own strategy.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
2 hours ago, Val-E said:

Man this thread sure got quiet since prices went south of 400USD. In Europe we never got near that and it can still be had for RRP+10%. Well done to those that got out in Feb.

Lowest priced New/Sealed one i can see on eBay is £280 + plus shipping.  Last one that sold was £250 today.  Lowest on Bricklink is £253 shipped from Spain.  RRP was £169.99, if you could point me in the direction where I can picked one up for £190 I would appreciate it.  

• 3 months later...
4 hours ago, Baragon said:

I am picking up a used Sea Cow this afternoon. The seller claims it is complete. Are there any rare or expensive pieces that I should check for before bringing it home?

I was afraid to click on this thread thought it was going to be more posts on how this set is poop. 

You probably already bought it but nothing that will be too hard to replace other then Queasy Kitty some of the parts that make up metalbeard. Also the large grey turbines and smoke stack pieces.  So many tiny pieces in this detailed set.  I would check the captains cabin and make sure all the "play" parts are there. 

• Like 2