What is your Top 10 list of Most Iconic Lego sets of all-time?

when i typed iconic, i mean it has to be well known, maybe continues to age well, considered impressive, maybe "break-thru" when introduced, etc...

my 10 in no particular order...

10181 Eiffel Tower - height

375 Yellow Castle - first castle

6080 King's Castle - from 1984. took 375 and improved upon it

10179 UCS Mill. Falcon - large and accurate.

10181 Death Star - playability and size

10189 Taj Mahal - total size

6390 Main Street - decent set when released in 1980

497 Galaxy Explorer - early space (guess here as i didn't collect space)

10182 Cafe Corner Street - 1st modular

700/1 Gift Package (1st locking brick set? 1949 to 1965 with some changes during that span)

i'm on the fence about...

4558 Metroliner (1st 9v train?).

Lego's first two Pirate ships ever from1989 (6274 Caribbean Clipper & 6285 Black Seas Barracuda)

10196 Grand Carousal - looks awesome and has PF built in

• Like 1

Definitely need to include Black Seas Barracuda, Forestmen's River Fortress, and original Monorails (city and space).

BLACK KNIGHT'S CASTLE!

:queen:  :queen:  :queen:  :queen:  :queen:  :queen:

Its just the most epic and good looking set of the 90s imho.... It pretty much had everything perfect.... 12 figs, 4 horses, great balance of the fort, some civil part of fort a dungeon (afterall it was named Dungeon masters castle originally!)

It was/is the jewel of the castle era .....  Hard to be rivaled. 

I was thinking about the early 1980s Airport Shuttle. Isn't that a monorail?

Yup - that's the one I was thinking of. What a great set.

BLACK KNIGHT'S CASTLE!

:queen::queen::queen::queen::queen::queen:

Its just the most epic and good looking set of the 90s imho.... It pretty much had everything perfect.... 12 figs, 4 horses, great balance of the fort, some civil part of fort a dungeon (afterall it was named Dungeon masters castle originally!)

It was/is the jewel of the castle era ..... Hard to be rivaled.

I agree - I was thinking about this one too. It's just so hard to go away from the first two- the yellow and gray castles. From an aesthetic and play perspective, Black Knights was a definite improvement over the other two.

My list:

1. Tower Bridge

2. Cafe Corner

3. UCS Millennium Falcon

4. Green Grocer

5. Winter Village Cottage

6. QAR/Black Pearl

7.Tower of Orthanc

8. 3739 Blacksmith Shop

9. An Unexpected Gathering (My current favorite set)

10. Diagon Alley

Great list. Thanks.

Why did you select some of the sets not on my list? I just built a QAR. Did the BP last month. Did you think about adding the Imperial Flagship to your list?

Great list. Thanks.

Why did you select some of the sets not on my list? I just built a QAR. Did the BP last month. Did you think about adding the Imperial Flagship to your list?

I should have had the Imperial Flagship on my list, but that set just gets to me because it is the pirate ship I'm missing.  It is easily the most iconic of the pirates ships (Sea Cow might be in that category).  So yes, it should probably be on that list...

In my opinion, the bigger is better.

My list:

1) Taj Mahal - the biggest set + well detailed, the king between exclusive buildings

2) Haunted house - the one and only scary exclusive set (I love horrors, and never thought before that dreams can come true and lego brings a big scary set)

3) UCS ISD - monumental battle ship (I like it more than Falcon, since you can live with "small" falcon, but not with small ISD)

4) Grand Carousel - very unique set, i think we will not see anythink similar from TLC

5) UCS Falcon - very big and detailed

6) Queen Ann revenge  - for me the best ship - not the biggest, but very unique

7) Medieval Market - a flagship of castle thema, very nice detailed

8 ) Cafe Corner - hard to decide between CC, GG and FB, but CC is slightly better and winner between modulars

9) Sopwith Camel (new) - monumental, king between airplanes

10) Ewok village - the best nature scenario, the set looks more like a MOC, than an official set

11) Hobbit - unexpected gathering - this set is a middle-sized, but very nice detailed and with several wonderful figs, this set is iconic.

Guest eightbrick

Iconic? Hmm. Here's my list (I tried to choose a couple sets that have stood as classics through the trials of time and a couple recent ones):

10) TIE: 10193 Medieval Market Village and 6067 Guarded Inn

The castle line has had quite a few amazing sets over the years, among them 6067 Guarded Inn is one of the most popular. The first Lego set to be re-released, it is just as legendary as some larger castle classics like the Black Falcon Fortress, Forestman Hideout, or Black Knight's Castle. In 2009, Lego returned to its roots with the MMV an equally successful set, a detailed take on a medieval town. Probably one of the most severely undervalued of the retired sets on this list.

6067-1.jpg

10193-1.jpg

9) 10237 Tower of Orthanc

More of a personal choice for me, I love Lord of the Rings and this set has been on my buy list since it came out. Yes, it's just a big black tower. But it's an awesome big black tower :D

10237-1.jpg

8 ) 2507 Fire Temple

Because Ninjago is one of Lego's most successful home grown action themes I felt I just had to pick one. The fire temple has a unique adult/kid appeal and is the best representation of traditional Japanese architecture we have got so far. Did I mention it comes with dragon? Runner ups in the action themes category include 6195 Neptune Discovery Lab and 5988 The Temple of Anubis.

2507-0000-xx-13-1.jpg

7) 6769 Fort Legoredo

Probably my personal favorite from this list (even though from the Western theme I like Gold City Junction more). Another classic that was so successful it was also treated with a re-release. The Western theme is one of the few one-and-dones (minus LR, if you consider that a western theme) that have been very popular with fans. Very unique.

6769-1.jpg

6) 10179 UCS Millennium Falcon

A pretty obvious choice. Simply the most sought after Star Wars set. Considering all that the line has done for the company in stores, it's no surprise it demands such a high price on the aftermarket.

10179-1.jpg

5) 10194 Emerald Night

Sure, there have been a lot of cool Lego trains and monorails out there, but this one is probably the best example of what train fan want. A beautiful set, and became even more ingrained in our minds after this touching story.

10194-1.jpg

4) 6285 Black Seas Barracuda

I chose this over the Imperial Flagship due to it remaining popular over 20 years, and the original Pirates line  had a lot more sets, factions, and seemed to be more popular than the 2009/10 reboot.

6285-1.jpg

3) 10182 Cafe Corner

Like my next pick, this set not only kicked off the modular line it also coincided with a drastic improvement in the online MOCing communities. Exceptionally detailed and highly sought after. Not everyone agrees that it is the best modular (construction techniques have got even better since its 2007 release), but being first it will definitely be one of the most remembered. Its offspring, including Palace Cinema, Parisian Cafe, etc., are among the best designed Lego sets.

10182-1.jpg

2) 10189 Taj Mahal

2007-2008 were exciting years for Lego, taking thousands of peoples minds off real world problems and a time when many AFOLs came out of their dark ages. The Taj Mahal taught us that Lego can be big, really showed us the popularity of the company (anyone remember the David Beckham incident with this guy?), and taught us that a brick (or 5922 of them ;) ) could really take us somewhere.

10189-1.jpg

1) 497 (928 Alternate) Galaxy Explorer

A 1979 release, this set has become the most prominent symbol of the beloved Classic Space theme. I love this set, there is something so beautiful about the innocence of the peaceful smiling spacemen, a nostalgic reminder of simpler times and grand fantasies to many AFOLs. The lack of licensed material or a back-story a strength here. This is creativity. This is exploration. This is the essence of Lego.

497-1.jpg

Thanks for starting this topic jaisonline

I tried to limit mine to sets I either owned, own, or absolutely love so they make the list anyway.  Many of these are from my childhood.  In no real order, they are:

10179 UCS Millenium Falcon - Probably the best set of all time

10210 Imperial Flagship - Stunning ship, best of all time I think

10189 Taj Mahal - Only set here I never had, but I want it bad

10237 Tower of Orthanc - Amazing set in person, very formidable

6080 King's Castle - Had this as a kid, loved it

6985 Cosmic Fleet Voyager - This was my main ship as a kid

6990 Monorail - My only train like set

6276 ElDorado Fortress

6277 Imperial Trading Post - Both awesome "good-guy" Pirates sets

6769 Fort Legoredo - Classic Western set that is really cool and a must have if you like this theme

I tried to limit mine to sets I either owned, own, or absolutely love so they make the list anyway. Many of these are from my childhood. In no real order, they are:

10179 UCS Millenium Falcon - Probably the best set of all time

10210 Imperial Flagship - Stunning ship, best of all time I think

10189 Taj Mahal - Only set here I never had, but I want it bad

10237 Tower of Orthanc - Amazing set in person, very formidable

6080 King's Castle - Had this as a kid, loved it

6985 Cosmic Fleet Voyager - This was my main ship as a kid

6990 Monorail - My only train like set

6276 ElDorado Fortress

6277 Imperial Trading Post - Both awesome "good-guy" Pirates sets

6769 Fort Legoredo - Classic Western set that is really cool and a must have if you like this theme

Totally agree Star Wars #1 then the others

Sent from my iPad using Brickpicker