Spring 2014 New Sets Incoming!

ajax_xaja

http://www.toysrus.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=12320507&view=all

It looks like TRU has the new Superheroes sets trickling into stores. It's not available yet, but you can probably get it at MSRP if you're lucky enough to have a TRU near you that has put them on the shelves already.

What do you guys see as the big winners for this line?

I don't know if any of these have actually trickled into stores yet.  They have been listed on the TRU website for the last couple weeks but haven't been put up for sale yet.  I'm hoping they drop during one of these promos like the $15 off $50 going on this week.  Here's the ones I really like:

76017 - Captain America carried the Avengers cycle set even though it had 2 of the lame movie aliens in it and his more classic costume here should be a big winner.  Red Skull is his arch-nemesis and it also includes a pretty nifty vehicle and an army builder (Hydra soldier).  I expect this one to be a solid investment set.

76018 - Hulk in purple pants is the main draw, but a classic Thor and 3 minifigures guaranteed to never be released again (Falcon, Taskmaster, and MODOK) put this one far over the top.  The set is pretty bland, but 5 excellent minifigures will carry this one for a long, long time.

76010 - Scuba Batman and an alternate costume Penguin.  'Nuff said.  The build looks pretty neat and the penguins are a plus.  I'll keep an eye on the Catcycle Chase set since that one is now done and would expect this one to perform similarly.

• Like 2

76018 - Hulk in purple pants is the main draw, but a classic Thor and 3 minifigures guaranteed to never be released again (Falcon, Taskmaster, and MODOK) put this one far over the top.  The set is pretty bland, but 5 excellent minifigures will carry this one for a long, long time.

Couldn't agree more. High on this set as both an investor and a father of a little boy who loves super heroes :)

http://www.toysrus.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=12320507&view=all

It looks like TRU has the new Superheroes sets trickling into stores. It's not available yet, but you can probably get it at MSRP if you're lucky enough to have a TRU near you that has put them on the shelves already.

What do you guys see as the big winners for this line?

The one with Joker and the other one with the new green Doc Ock are the real winners.

Can't beat the original Doc Ock. The last one with the black one is completely *** and retarded. Those who owns that one will be bagholders.

I agree that the comic accurate figures trump movie versions.  The movie versions, to me, will always be tied to that particular movie.  Even ff it's a good movie there's a dated aspect to that.  The comic accurate versions, on the other hand, are much more timeless.  There's no way I would personally buy the Cap Avenging cycle with the movie Cap at it's current price when I can get the comic version plus Red Skull and a Hydra guy for $20.

I'm glad to see more of the comic accurate figures showing up and it will be very interesting from an investing view point if the comic versions end up doing better as investments in the long run.

I imagine most comic collectors/readers would prefer the comic accurate versions though the movie versions may be better known by more people overall (number of people who saw Avengers vs. number who have read a classic--or even new--Avengers comic book).  

I agree that the comic accurate figures trump movie versions.  The movie versions, to me, will always be tied to that particular movie.  Even ff it's a good movie there's a dated aspect to that.  The comic accurate versions, on the other hand, are much more timeless.  There's no way I would personally buy the Cap Avenging cycle with the movie Cap at it's current price when I can get the comic version plus Red Skull and a Hydra guy for $20.

I'm glad to see more of the comic accurate figures showing up and it will be very interesting from an investing view point if the comic versions end up doing better as investments in the long run.

I imagine most comic collectors/readers would prefer the comic accurate versions though the movie versions may be better known by more people overall (number of people who saw Avengers vs. number who have read a classic--or even new--Avengers comic book).  

The new Avengers set are actually based on the Avenger Assemble cartoon.

Was just reading this post and hit the link that took me to the TRU page.  Had two pre-teen Lego fans stop dead in the tracks and state their desire for most of these new sets.  According to them, many of these sets are directly out of the relatively new Lego Marvel Super Heroes game (PC, Xbox, etc.). 

The new Avengers set are actually based on the Avenger Assemble cartoon.

That's a good point--cartoons and video games have certainly taken the place of the floppy comic book of days past and serve as the reference point for most kids today on these characters.  Your average comic book reader is now in their 20's-30's.

I've realized I haven't put in any input on my opinion for these sets either, so i'll toss them in now, though most of what I'll be saying has already been said. I can't comment much on DC sets, since I've got no knowledge on popularity of DC characters, but here are my 2 cents for Marvel.

I like the Captain America / Red Skull / Hydra boxes for sure. This might very well be the next wolverine chopper showdown, since all 3 minifigs are made well, iconic, and 2/3 of them are exclusive.

The Electro set is a joke. Spiderman is already in half the LEGO sets, and the Electro looks lazily done.

The new Hulk set with all of the exclusive minifigs is the powerhouse, and i'm predicting it'll be VERY easy to make MSRP through parting out the minifigs alone. Definitely picking up a few of these and including one for myself.

I'm having very mixed feelings about the Spiderman Green Goblin set. This iteration of the GG is hideous, and another spiderman to have to sell off sounds like a PITA. On the other hand, Mary Jane and Power Man (LUKE CAGE) could be VERY exclusive. I just wish that LEGO stayed consistent with keeping the original comic costumes.