76017 - Avengers: Captain America vs Hydra

glenbart

Is it ok for lego to release a Nazi figure  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Is it ok for Lego to produce a Nazi figure?

• Yes, absolutely
    • No
    • Who cares ?
    • What ever you (they) say, it's part of history
    • I hadn't given it any thought.
    • It doesnt offend me
    • It might offend others
    • Jabba is a saint compared to the Red Skull
    • I think a media circus is possible if there are complaints
    • I think we will hear nothing about it in the media
    • Marvel Lego is baddass
    • The top of the tank doesn't swivel around properley without knocking Red Skull out of his seat, but this set is a winner!
    • That stuff about Jabba's palace was a lot of nonsense
    • I think war is bad, i'm glad we won.

Wait a minute, you are asking if Lego will suddenly stop production on a set they planned to release, took months designing, got the green light for, but hasn't even hit store shelves yet? :pinch: Anyone who knows comic books already understands the affiliation behind Red Skull. I admit there will always be complainers but unless there is a big red swastika across his forehead, there really isn't any ground for those kinds of people to stand on. Besides, there are how many war movies about the Nazis now? Almost seventy or so years later and I swear Hollywood never stops making them.

I do think it's far from lego stating they never wanted to produce military type lego.

It is in a way but we crossed that line long ago soon as Lego did Star Wars in 1999 and, well, here we are.

Gimmie a break, nobody in their right mind would be offended by a Red Skull LEGO...

This on the other hand...

'>

Plus this article: http://godbricks.blogspot.com/2012/01/holocaust-lego.html

Seriously, the second one really is pushing the boundaries just a bit, isn`t it? Understandable why someone would take offence, but not in the Lego set form. The only resemblance the Red Skull fig bears to the Holocaust is the trench coat, and even then, that`s a reach. Although to be completely honest, I`d love to see someone make a fuss about it. Like a Jabba`s Palace incident a while back, some people are crazy, but it makes for hilarious news none the less. 

I doubt collectors or fans will care because they know the story. It will be some butt hurt parent that has too much time on their hands, if it ever becomes an issue. 

Anyone who uses the words "butt hurt" in a sentence automatically should get a plus 1.

I do take offense to that Octopus though. Anything without 2 or 4 legs is ungodly and should be terminated. The devil was a snake with with legs and God took away its legs making it unholy.

Please cease production.

Who cares? It's all about perspective. People get offended over the silliest things. Besides, I don't think anyone has preconceived notions that Germans are bad because of a minifigure in a LEGO set. If this LEGO set did reinforce that, I think it should be pulled. But it doesn't. No one who ACTUALLY thinks does not base their first impressions about an entire race based on a LEGO set. To any parents who say that their kid thinks Germans are bad because of a LEGO set with a villain who is German, maybe it's because you haven't taught your kids about judging based on appearance? Don't blame a toy company because of something your kid thinks. Kids think and say the darndest things all the time! Who knows where they got it!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Actually in the Captain America movie, the Red Skull character killed off all the Nazi SS men who came to check up on his projects and said he was breaking off from Hitler and doing his own thing.  So essentially he became an enemy of the Nazi regime as much as he was an enemy of Freedom and America.  So this in a way was a sort of spinoff even from the comic book to separate himself from anything Nazi.  So there is no chance of a ceased production for anything other than low sales.  And this new cycle set is much better than the old and probably will sell twice as much.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Agree that it's really not worth it to part out or sell right now at the price Amazon had it for. Also it's a relatively new set so not worth buying now for long term investment. If it was a year from now I would have bought some. There will be plenty of opportunities to buy this set at equal or better price in the future.

Sent from my iPad using Brickpicker

I sometimes wonder why bother for only a few buck and lots of work versus huge roi and barely any effort. But if you feel you need to work to keep busy then stick to low roi.

I suggest that you do your own research.

I AM doing my own research but it seems to be equal between the two options.  I just wanted opinions and to see how people decide between the two options. 

Honestly parting this set out is a waste of time unless you got them for like 10$. This one has been hit hard by other sellers and the China market, etc.

Plus USPS shipping hike. 20$ sets are just not worth it.

In all, you are gonna end up making 10$ at most with a lot of effort. I have a giant part out Ebay shop and I am honestly thinking about cutting all the 20$ sets - and thats with my maximum profit, organization, low Ebay fees with a store, etc.

Now 20$ sets are great for investment though.