10217 - Diagon Alley

mahler24

This set is a great disappointment for me - it has all premises for big grow after EOL - it is an exclusive set from popular theme, maybe the biggest, and have several exclusives figs. And there is just very small increase... dont understand. Maybe it is a problem of the end of Harry Potter lego theme + books + movies - with this end an interest of many collectors towards this theme decreased... Or maybe it is a factor of new massive wave of investors with a deflation effect.

This set is a great disappointment for me - it has all premises for big grow after EOL - it is an exclusive set from popular theme, maybe the biggest, and have several exclusives figs. And there is just very small increase... dont understand. Maybe it is a problem of the end of Harry Potter lego theme + books + movies - with this end an interest of many collectors towards this theme decreased... Or maybe it is a factor of new massive wave of investors with a deflation effect.

The rest of the last wave of Potter sets has done pretty great, so it isn't that. The set is special, and was an exclusive. Historically, it would be performing much much better. There are simply too many sellers who are willing to accept too little.

The set will do great - It just might take a bit longer to get through the inventory of all the quick EOL sellers.

If you bought it from someone else, I'd go the safe route and get your money back. It's possible that it's been opened and the minifigures removed.

The box is correctly sealed.

Is very strange...the plastic film perfectly fit the box...it seems to be put with a "machine", not manually....boh

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Welp I sold the last of my DAS this week. Not the huge winner I personally wanted it to everyone but not bad. I wish everyone the best of luck with this set! Here is an article I came across this AM so maybe this will help growth. http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/20/travel/harry-potter-diagon-alley-orlando/index.html

agreed. 

generally, lego playset sets appreciate slower than vehicle sets.  prominent playsets like Hogwarts, Jabba's Palace are prob exceptions.

• 1 year later...

With the return of Harry Potter license in the new Dimensions set (did Lego ever lose the license?) and the new movies/book/play coming out surrounding the HP universe...think this set will see another period of growth? I would think the movies and plays would still utilize Diagon Alley, and with Harry Potter moving back into the fold in general, especially with dimensions, I think this could be the SSD or DS of Harry Potter. Thoughts?

I love the Harry Potter theme, I have Hogwarts 4842 and it was a really fun build and great display piece!! Second hand it is still making good money!! I've been keeping my eye out for a used DA for some time, but can never seem to find a complete set in good condition for under £200!! Brand new you're looking at double!! I think this set will continue to rise over time.

• 9 months later...

Does anyone have any random sealed bags for this set? I am looking to find one of the sealed #3 bags (the smallest of the #3's). Below is a photo of the #3 bags that are meant to be included (the small one one on the upper left is the one I am looking to find).

10217 Bag 3's.jpg