Got lucky at a small toy store

E.W.

A couple of weeks ago a small toy store here in town ("here" meaning in Germany) went out of business, because their lease wasn't renewed at a bearable rate. When they had their final sales I went to pick up some Lego, part for investment, part for my collection, I stumbled across a bunch of display cases with price tags on them.

Last year I had asked the boss at their head store (they belonged to a very small chain) what happened to these cases if they were replaced and he told me they (the cases) were going back to Lego and they (the store) were not allowed to sell them. Looks like this either changed (unlikely) or they  didn't care anymore.

Bottom line: I picked up three of them, Flo's V8 Cafe and Ghost Train / Mad Scientist's Lab for my own collection and Friends Olivia's House for my daughter. The Monster Fighters case was brand new, still in protective wrap. Asking price was 50% of MSRP of the included sets and I successfully asked the store clerk to apply that week's 30% final sale rebate. I still have to find a nice place to display them (or at least to store them until then).

They also had a life sized Dirk Nowitzki on display, I asked if it was for sale, but I was told that Lego would be picking this one up. The store could have kept it. For 6000 Euros...

• Like 4

Congrats on the awesome score! Any pictures you could share of the Dirk? That sounds quite impressive. He's near 7 foot right?

The Dirk was one of these or very similar

http://www.spike.com/articles/bigd32/dirk-nowitzkis-greatness-captured-in-the-awesome-power-of-lego

He was standing in a not-so-well lit basement full of final-sales stuff and since I never got the idea of taking a picture of him when he was in a better presentation environment, I may have missed that opportunity for good.

That's awesome, E.W.! I really enjoy LEGO Display cases. Aren't they awesome?! Like mudcatsfan said, do you have any pictures? Even of the displays that you bought would be great!

The displays are currently stacked in my old room in my parents' house, I'll take a picture when I get there next week.

pictures, as promised...

post-7654-0-79151700-1392629422_thumb.jp

Flo's V8 Cafe, features sensor lighting (disabled for now, so it will not drain batteries over time)

post-7654-0-76869700-1392629505_thumb.jp

Ghost Train / Mad Scientist's Lab (pardon the quality, I didn't want to remove the protective wrap)

post-7654-0-81130700-1392629723_thumb.jp

Features push-button and sensor lighting, white total illumination and a light show highlighting certain parts in different colours

post-7654-0-17043600-1392629782_thumb.jp

Olivia's house, features push button lighting and a turntable to rotate the house. Sorry, couldn't resist to add a somewhat dramatic backdrop to the ever so peaceful world of Lego Friends...

• Like 4

Guest TabbyBoy

Even though the displays look superb, I don't think Lego (or eBay for that matter) will allow you to sell them.  I had a job getting rid of a Coast Guard Patrol display that I had from Modelzone just before they went ****-up (now part of WH Smith).  In the end I got

Even though the displays look superb, I don't think Lego (or eBay for that matter) will allow you to sell them.  I had a job getting rid of a Coast Guard Patrol display that I had from Modelzone just before they went ****-up (now part of WH Smith).  In the end I got

those are awesome!  i wish i could find some lego display cases...I've seen them on ebay at times though. I wonder if it is lego policy for sellers to return the cases to them..

From what I have read on the forums, Lego expects all the display cases to be returned from the original users like Target etc. Once in a while they sell somehow despit this rule.

• 3 weeks later...

2 days after i listed my display on ebay it got mailed by ebay and lego's enforcement group stating that i am not allowed to sell displays, not if you're the original lego contract partner (aka toy store) and also not if you got it 'illegally' from a store ( aka them selling them to you, or even gifting them to you). So now its sitting in the basement :D

2 days after i listed my display on ebay it got mailed by ebay and lego's enforcement group stating that i am not allowed to sell displays, not if you're the original lego contract partner (aka toy store) and also not if you got it 'illegally' from a store ( aka them selling them to you, or even gifting them to you). So now its sitting in the basement :D

Ouch. I don't get it how some listings are taken down immediately, while others have time to sell the displays. :question:

Ouch. I don't get it how some listings are taken down immediately, while others have time to sell the displays. :question:

I think it might have something to do with how you present the item. As far as i know Lego is even deleting listings (at least in germany) where people sells Moc's and mention the modell numbers of the original Sets used.

Their argument is, if i remember correctly, that the model numbers stands for the whole content which the box contains.

On the other hand, there is a lot of stuff being sold on ebay that is against ebay rules, maybe they just dont check that often, i dont really know.

I think it might have something to do with how you present the item. As far as i know Lego is even deleting listings (at least in germany) where people sells Moc's and mention the modell numbers of the original Sets used.

Their argument is, if i remember correctly, that the model numbers stands for the whole content which the box contains.

On the other hand, there is a lot of stuff being sold on ebay that is against ebay rules, maybe they just dont check that often, i dont really know.

That is even more perplexing! Lego taking down listings of MOC's.