10231 - Shuttle Expedition

Ed Mack

Differences explained =

http://brickset.com/article/1303/update-on-#10231-shuttle-expedition

10231 Shuttle Expedition may look similar to Shuttle Adventure in many ways, however its build is very different and offers several advantages.

- The fuel tank has been reinforced with supports to strengthen the assembly
- The landing gear is strengthened to function better across many different floor types
- The Cargo doors can now be more rigorously opened and closed
- The entire build has been reworked to limit opportunities for misplacing elements
- Astronauts now have wigs in addition to their helmets (1 male, 1 female). Face prints are also different.
- The new set now has 1,230 elements
- New Satellite can be securely positioned on the new mechanical arm

The new space shuttle (like the last one) will not impact this exclusive set.  Now if an exclusive refresh of 10231 comes along, then it's a diff story.

What is the difference between 10213 and 10231?.

The new space sets will impact these the same way the new city fire stations will affect the performance of 10197.

Hmm. I can't say that I agree with you on this one.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all, I have decided to treat myself for birthday and pick up either 10213 or 10231 for office desk display. just curious if the aesthetics are any different between the two. I already am aware of the structural issues of 10213, but if I am not intending to play with the set, is 10213 a better looking model?

Thoughts from those who own either of these shuttles? Thank you!

• 1 year later...

Old thread resurfacing...

I picked up an used set at a very decent price a while ago and finally had time to clean and brick it. Got to say it's a very impressive set. The build was satisfying as well.

I'm just wondering what is the market outlook for this set. Price looks to be stagnated a bit. Presumably due to three city set 60080. I found that these are two different sets with different target markets. Though the 60080 is quite tempting if can be obtained at big discount. Built wise 10231 is more satisfying and display is more imposing.

4 hours ago, mattjay said:

Old thread resurfacing...

I picked up an used set at a very decent price a while ago and finally had time to clean and brick it. Got to say it's a very impressive set. The build was satisfying as well.

I'm just wondering what is the market outlook for this set. Price looks to be stagnated a bit. Presumably due to three city set 60080. I found that these are two different sets with different target markets. Though the 60080 is quite tempting if can be obtained at big discount. Built wise 10231 is more satisfying and display is more imposing.

Like most sets that have been retired for 3+ years, the annual appreciation begins to slow down.  Now there are exceptions like 10179 UCS MF and 10196 GC where renewed interest keeps years' 3, 4, 5, etc.. appreciation higher than normal. 

3 hours ago, jaisonline said:
Like most sets that have been retired for 3+ years, the annual appreciation begins to slow down.  Now there are exceptions like 10179 UCS MF and 10196 GC where renewed interest keeps years' 3, 4, 5, etc.. appreciation higher than normal. 

Cheers for the response@jaisonline.
Is this worth picking up at rrp or slightly above or do you think the money rather best invested towards the current sets?

5 hours ago, mattjay said:

Cheers for the response@jaisonline.
Is this worth picking up at rrp or slightly above or do you think the money rather best invested towards the current sets?

think of keeping this set as investing in conservative stocks. it can't hurt to diversify your Lego portfolio with low, medium and high risk investments.  note: I haven't had a chance to build mine.

2 things to consider.

1) Pay attention to rumors of a refresh. A newer one / remake / refresh will decrease the value of 10231.

2) If you like this set, this is all that really matters in the long-run.   

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 7/18/2016 at 10:36 AM, Migration said:

Also this set MIGHT get a bit of a bump once the Saturn V ideas set comes out.

Wow, once again I should have listened to you. I wish you told me not to buy all those UN. 

I just sold my last one on eBay for $549 (to a reputable buyer) up $200 since Saturn V came out. This set just dried up. In the USA there are 4 on BL, 1 on eBay and none on Amazon besides dropshipper boy and a "Just Launched". So all is not doom and gloom. 

Guest TabbyBoy

It's a big ask, but I bope this helps 60080 soon as I have a huge amount When Tesco mistakenly priced them at £17... AND 3-for-2 at the end of last year. I'm no longer paying storage for my remaining 3,000 or sets so I'm in no rush. But, I don't want to miss that window!

C'mon QFLLs, get rid asap!