75059 - UCS: Sandcrawler

TheDarkness

• 1 month later...

Well Most of you guys no my stand on the Death Star and SSD, So with the new 75059 Huge Sandcrawler $349.99 and Slave 1 coming in Septemper that should be the end of the Death Star or SSD, Something has to go as Lego has never had all these SW Lego Exclusives out at once. So I am up to 34 Death Stars and 15 SSD as with the Barnes and Noble 30%-40% Coupons if the cashier does not read the coupon you should be getting the DS for $270-300 depending on the coupon. along with the R2-D2 Droid $130. But back to the Death Star all you guys who think this set will take forever to make money will regret it along with the SSD.Most of you guys are kicking yourself for not buying lots of Imperial Flagships, Remote AT AT, 10212 Shuttles,Potter Castles and I could list many more, because once the panic buying starts for the DS and SSD well many of guys on here will be asking is $500-600 still a good deal for them. Ed

• Like 2

Do you have a macro for these posts?

Kidding aside, I agree with the points in principal. I will challenge one thing - with LEGO Shop at Home, is there really any reason why they have to retire anything? Shelf space in the Lego retail store may be limited, but in the online world they aren't as limited. With the Lego market continuing to grow, it would actually make sense for them to increase the number of high end sets available as part of their product mix.

So I hope you are right on the retirement, but I don't think they "have" to retire anything.

• Like 1

I do believe this is the end for the Superstar Destroyer too.  Just picked one up on warehouse deals today, 324, can't wait to build it.

As emazers said, many people will blow these large sets off and then scramble to locate a couple when it is too late.  I have read so many people blowing off the 10188 in the past, yet when it gets retired, there will be a huge panic.

As emazers said, many people will blow these large sets off and then scramble to locate a couple when it is too late.  I have read so many people blowing off the 10188 in the past, yet when it gets retired, there will be a huge panic.

I agree for the most part. I don't necessarily love the idea of going and buying one now.

More what my focus would be was trying to grab them right when we find out its gone. Obviously you shouldn't do this on every set, but for a set that has lasted this long, I don't think that there is any reason to tie up that much capital.

Plus on a 400$ set, you gotta get to about $950 before you actually double your money (obviously less if you got it for less). Even with Panic buying, its not getting to that in several months. I just think things like modulars, etc. would be better spent money.

But I could be wrong.

• Like 2

I agree for the most part. I don't necessarily love the idea of going and buying one now.

More what my focus would be was trying to grab them right when we find out its gone. Obviously you shouldn't do this on every set, but for a set that has lasted this long, I don't think that there is any reason to tie up that much capital.

Plus on a 400$ set, you gotta get to about $950 before you actually double your money (obviously less if you got it for less). Even with Panic buying, its not getting to that in several months. I just think things like modulars, etc. would be better spent money.

But I could be wrong.

I couldn't agree more.  And to take it a step further what if I bought 12 x Daily Bugle for $35 with a Red Card Discount (ironically, comes to exactly $399)?  This set could hit $80 by Christmas.  If that happens, I will have $960 in sales.  How long will it take for the Death Star or SSD to reach that number?  To put this in perspective, I am selling my Hogwarts 4867 all day long for $110.  Bought those in 2013 for $33 each.  Yes, big sets have a higher upside but in my opinion the market is shifting and the mid sized sets are every bit as viable.

• Like 4

There will be panic for sure!  For the average (or maybe I just don't know what average is) investor, there has to be a limit on how many large sets one can have in their inventory at any given time, and there are a slew of $100+ sets that are awesome, so something has to give.  I know I love both the SSD and DS but don't have either in my inventory right now, and I believe I have about 7-8K in total inventory.  I need to pre-panic buy...

I'm just happy they're releasing a $350 Sandcrawler.  I might sell everything and move into that bad boy. 

I'd love to have more Death Stars and SSD's, but I'm not going to tie up tons of capital, when I can be making quite a bit from buying recently retired sets to sell during Christmas 2014.

I couldn't agree more.  And to take it a step further what if I bought 12 x Daily Bugle for $35 with a Red Card Discount (ironically, comes to exactly $399)?  This set could hit $80 by Christmas.  If that happens, I will have $960 in sales.  How long will it take for the Death Star or SSD to reach that number?  To put this in perspective, I am selling my Hogwarts 4867 all day long for $110.  Bought those in 2013 for $33 each.  Yes, big sets have a higher upside but in my opinion the market is shifting and the mid sized sets are every bit as viable.

After saying this...I DO want a Death Star.  Love all those minifigs and think it would be a fun build/playset to share with my boys. Would love to build the SSD too.  But it is such a mammoth set, and I don't really have space to display something like that.  Might just end up with the Ewok Village though.  My boys are still young enough to think Ewoks are cool.

... with the Barnes and Noble 30%-40% Coupons if the cashier does not read the coupon ...

I'm a bit of a fence sitter on the ethics of this one.  On the one hand I'd feel bad for "duping" the CS person and company (effecting their profitability which in a macro sense should inflate future prices or reduce the availability of these discounts for other sets).  On the other hand it really should be proper business practice to train CS staff better and make sure your discounting policies are implemented accurately at point of sale.

Buying these large and expensive sets to resell is not for everyone, but they are as close to a sure thing in LEGO investing as there is. Ed is probably right that one, if not both, of these sets will get retired this year. If I had to choose between 10 $40 sets or one of these, I would choose the SSD or Death Star at this moment, especially with the new STAR WARS film being released in 2015.

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker

I'm a bit of a fence sitter on the ethics of this one.  On the one hand I'd feel bad for "duping" the CS person and company (effecting their profitability which in a macro sense should inflate future prices or reduce the availability of these discounts for other sets).  On the other hand it really should be proper business practice to train CS staff better and make sure your discounting policies are implemented accurately at point of sale.

I can say that I could NOT dupe people like this.  Even if it was their fault for not checking the coupon.  I am in the business of making as much money as possible but I am not going to compromise my ethics and integrity.  

Also, 34 Death Stars and 15 SSD's?!!  Wow, are you kidding me Emazers?  We would all love to have that kind of cash and space to be able to do that.  So unless you posted those figures to brag/rub our faces on it, congrats, you are going to be rich someday!

Please dont discuss ethics on this site .. keep it to yourself. Thanks