75059 - UCS: Sandcrawler

TheDarkness

5 minutes ago, cladner said:

retiredsc.jpgshowing up as retired now - not sure how new this is.

I'm also seeing Pet Shop, Fairground Mixer and Sydney Opera House as officially Retired at LEGO Shop at Home - thought those were previously marked as "Retiring Soon" and "Sold Out" only, so this might be new.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Leopard said:

Since it's officially retired, any reason why we shouldn't jump on this? Amazon selling for $287 but with tax and all that will be $307..on US Ebay it is being sold under $300 on the average of the MSRP.

It will go up some and then flat-line for a long time, like most of the exclusives of the last 3 years.  The data posted on the forums is showing it.  It may even go up and then drop back down like many of the $150-300 exclusives of the last 3 years. You have to ask yourself, is it worth making $50 at the end of the day or possibly less, and competing against 50-100 other listings at any one time for that one or two buyers every other week?  Just because an item is selling at $100 above what you paid and it looks like a profitable venture doesn't mean it is.  You have selling fees, shipping fees, then what is your original buy in, and how long will you have to hold, and how difficult will it be to sell. The sandcrawler sold tons and will undoubtedly have tons of sellers looking to offload these in the next year.  You may have to wait a year just to make $50 or less after all is said and done, if you're lucky. What if when you go to sell in say 4-5 years another bigtime seller from this site decides to also, then you end up in an undercutting war fighting over 1-2 buyers who are even interested at a $150-200 value above what you paid, so it's like pulling teeth for each sale and even getting rid of 5 could take a few months and cause alot of stress.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, JRandall said:

It will go up some and then flat-line for a long time, like most of the exclusives of the last 3 years.  The data posted on the forums is showing it.  It may even go up and then drop back down like many of the $150-300 exclusives of the last 3 years. You have to ask yourself, is it worth making $50 at the end of the day or possibly less, and competing against 50-100 other listings at any one time for that one or two buyers every other week?  Just because an item is selling at $100 above what you paid and it looks like a profitable venture doesn't mean it is.  You have selling fees, shipping fees, then what is your original buy in, and how long will you have to hold, and how difficult will it be to sell. The sandcrawler sold tons and will undoubtedly have tons of sellers looking to offload these in the next year.  You may have to wait a year just to make $50 or less after all is said and done, if you're lucky. What if when you go to sell in say 4-5 years another bigtime seller from this site decides to also, then you end up in an undercutting war fighting over 1-2 buyers who are even interested at a $150-200 value above what you paid, so it's like pulling teeth for each sale and even getting rid of 5 could take a few months and cause alot of stress.

The only real justifiable reason to buy up multiples at this point is if you get a deal like TRU had where these dropped to $179.00. 

1 hour ago, Leopard said:

Since it's officially retired, any reason why we shouldn't jump on this? Amazon selling for $287 but with tax and all that will be $307..on US Ebay it is being sold under $300 on the average of the MSRP.

I still believe the SW UCS sets are good hold and forget them for 3-5 year investments (remakes like 75159 are unlikely for most sets).  but you can make more money flipping the small stuff in 0-2 years.  so really just a question of your strategy and how you balance your time vs income.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JRandall said:

This is an excellent post. Thanks. 

Now lets hope people calm down a bit on all similar sets (and smaller) before lego reselling become completely commoditized.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JRandall said:

i totally understand your opinion.

there are certain sets worth taking the risk.

since i got back into Lego in 2012, i've seen / experienced  many things but one thing happens over and over. 

1. there are always a small list of sets at retail each yr that nobody seems to want until hey retire (10179, 10196 GC, 10212 IS, 10220 ISD, 21103 BTTF, etc...). granted, picking these sets aren't ways easy and luck plays into it.

i think 75059 (among others) is one of them. 

As I typed in this topic many times...

talking with other mods 2 year ago." As a RebelScum member and SW fan, you there are plenty of Jawa fans out there (not just me and Jason West- ha).  Jawa and their related merchandise have this cult following.  Lego how well the initial 10144  Sandcrawler did and this one is 10x better, because goer and actually a challenging build.  I haven't bought much to invest in since early 2015 except sets my gut tells me it's a winner.  I might be totally wrong (especially if it doesn't retire by mid-2017) but I think the vehicle is iconic enough for folks to buy down the road in the secondary market.   "

Edited by jaisonline
Fixed typo
  • Like 1