75059 - UCS: Sandcrawler

TheDarkness

4 hours ago, Ed Mack said:

Why would LEGO remake a poor seller, with so many more potentially lucrative options and reissue candidates?  The 75059 is a quality set that didn't find enough love from fans.  Unless LEGO plans on doing a 6000+ piece set remake, interest in this set or future remakes of the Sandcrawler won't change.  I'ts no X-Wing, Falcon or Star Destroyer.  Why don't people write about remaking the UCS B-Wing?  Because to me, they are very similar sets.  Nice, but not nice enough.  No love equals no remakes...

True but TLG killed the B Wing after a year or so. SC was given more time so it can´t have been that much of a turd.

I would not rule out remakes of both in some shape or form but there are many more items ahead in the queue to be done first.

It's not sold out on Amazon.  They just moved it to Business-only, for now.  It was that way back in January I believe, then they flipped it to retail also.  They still have 375 of them left, so odds are, it will be back on the retail side soon.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

nice jump out of the gate on amazon - lowest new price $464.  doing great if you were up early and got some in December during the $179 TRU  online clearance.

already beating sydney opera house which had $20 higher MSRP by $14, so net ahead by $34 using MSRP as your benchmark.

amazon price appreciation being goosed by unusual low seller count because of a rather arbitrary gate i managed to sneak past a few months ago after trying over and over and over again and getting turned down.  tried again in the midst of an especially busy seller period and was approved immediately based upon performance metrics without any documentation etc.  that was a great day.

same stupid impenetrable seller gate on 75105 Millennium Falcon will keep me from going any deeper on that set despite easily obtainable discounts ( i have 3).

Edited by cladner
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, cladner said:

nice jump out of the gate on amazon - lowest new price $464.  already beating sydney opera house which had $20 higher MSRP by $14, so net ahead by $34.

amazon price appreciation being goosed by unusual low seller count because of a rather arbitrary gate i managed to sneak past a few months ago after trying over and over and over again and getting turned down.  tried again in the midst of an especially busy seller period and was approved immediately based upon performance metrics without any documentation etc.  that was a great day.

same stupid impenetrable seller gate on 75105 Millennium Falcon will keep me from going any deeper on that set despite easily obtainable discounts ( i have 3).

I'm more excited for the alt listing. Open to everyone ungated in Lego, but more importantly FBA and buy box is active, and that kindly B&E corp is paying for PPC to boost it. SO everyone needs to go leave a positive review for that alt listing and if you do start selling and are not going to use your free $50 PPC trial for anything else then go ahead and use it for that listing.

• Like 1

I was able to get most of the sandcrawler bags 7-16 with box and instructions and all the minifigures for a good price.  What would be the best way to complete the set?   im assuming it would be pretty small chance of finding bags 1-6 for sale.  Im guessing I would have to piece it together on bricklink.  Any feed back would be appreciated but really just thinking out loud.  thank you

2 minutes ago, Mgip21 said:

I was able to get most of the sandcrawler bags 7-16 with box and instructions and all the minifigures for a good price.  What would be the best way to complete the set?   im assuming it would be pretty small chance of finding bags 1-6 for sale.  Im guessing I would have to piece it together on bricklink.  Any feed back would be appreciated but really just thinking out loud.  thank you

in addition to what you've already suggested, you might want to keep an ebay search for LEGO 75059 NO FIGURES or no minifigs, etc.

you might get a decent buy on just the ship, save the money on not buying the figs, and then recoup more money by parting out the pieces from bags 7-16.

OR, buy a whole new ship used, sell the figs and the additional parts.

OR you miiiiiiiiiiiight also be able to purchase the parts directly from LEGO if they have any replacement bags left. Just be honest that you're looking to buy them and not replace them as missing.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, mudcatsfan said:

in addition to what you've already suggested, you might want to keep an ebay search for LEGO 75059 NO FIGURES or no minifigs, etc.

you might get a decent buy on just the ship, save the money on not buying the figs, and then recoup more money by parting out the pieces from bags 7-16.

OR, buy a whole new ship used, sell the figs and the additional parts.

OR you miiiiiiiiiiiight also be able to purchase the parts directly from LEGO if they have any replacement bags left. Just be honest that you're looking to buy them and not replace them as missing.

Thank u

• 2 months later...
15 minutes ago, John82 said:

Seems quiet on this set. Has a UCS set ever done this badly 6 months after EOL?

I don't know if any UCS set has ever done this badly before, but I do notice that all recently retired Star Wars UCS sets (10240, 10236 and 75059) are currently showing a downward trend in eBay sales. I guess I should be glad that I didn't go deep on these Star Wars sets. :P 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Haay said:

I don't know if any UCS set has ever done this badly before, but I do notice that all recently retired Star Wars UCS sets (10240, 10236 and 75059) are currently showing a downward trend in eBay sales. I guess I should be glad that I didn't go deep on these Star Wars sets. :P 

My thoughts...

There is still plenty of time for the Sandcrawler.  Not many sets have the huge appreciation "pop" anymore we saw from est. 2014 to 2016).  After retirement appreciation is more like before 2012 for the avg set : slow and steady (on avg).

However, I do think quite a few sets (e.g. LOTR ToO, UCS R2, modular bluidngs and yes, even the Sandcrawler) that retired during the major influx of Lego investors will have a huge hill to climb.  I think there are far too many NISB sets of the avg set available compared to six plus years ago.  Back then, many more sets were purchased at retail to be built and not sit sealed in closets).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John82 said:

10227 B-Wing was in similar shape at this point but lego blew them out before eol. It's doing ok now so there is still hope for the crawler. Crawler has some pretty nice discounts before eol as well. TRU blowout, amazon had it discounted too.

1 minute ago, jaisonline said:

My thoughts...

There is still plenty of time for the Sandcrawler.  Not many sets have the huge appreciation "pop" anymore.  After retirement appreciation is more like before 2011 for the avg set : slow and steady.  

However, I do think quite a few sets (e.g. LOTR ToO, UCS R2, modular bluidngs and yes, even the Sandcrawler) that retired during the major influx of Lego investors will have a huge hill to climb.  I think there are far too many NISB sets of the avg set available compared to six plus years ago.  Back then, many more sets were purchased at retail to be built and not sit sealed in closets).

Oh, totally agree with your assessment. And... correct me if I'm wrong because I wasn't present in the LEGO scene back then, but when 10221 SSD retired, wasn't it discounted heavily because it didn't sell well? And didn't it take quite some time until it started to grow significantly beyond original RRP ?

And indeed like @marcandre mentioned as well: the B-Wing was considered a UCS dud, while it's now selling for at least 1.5 x RRP here in Europe. With very limited chance for a remake of the B-Wing, that price will only keep going up. Not fast, but gradually and steadily...

For Star Wars UCS sets like 75059 it's a matter of being patient and waiting until the impatient sellers have unloaded their stock.

• Like 1

In the UK it looks like a lot bought this expecting an immediate post retirement jump and you have people trying to just cash out, even if they are losing money by the time they've posted and paid fees.

I think the number of people loading up on big box exclusives in the next retirement will be much smaller. The "easy money" isn't as easy as they thought. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, John82 said:

Compared to the new-normal for UCS / Exclusive sets, These are doing quite well on Amazon USA, but that's likely due to the very strict gating (I've heard) on this product compared to other recent UCS retirees. Seems like many usual sellers were prevented from selling this one. I see 3 various listings on Amazon for 75059 (most likely to get around this issue) The lesser listings still as much as 400 shipped, the main listing at 427 shipped, and 449 shipped before you leave the first page of offers. Only 5 pages of offers in total tells me that this likely was gated more than usual or these weren't hoarded as much as earlier sets.

Ebay USA's cheapest is $341 shipped but it quickly jumps to 370, 400, 440 with a few sales and only 71 listings total currently. To me, that's not bad for a recently retired set that many found on discount, especially as they had significant sales right into retirement announcement, meaning people are already making small profit even if bailing now.

3 hours ago, Haay said:

Must be a very different market in Europe on this one. I'm seeing it as pretty strong here based on numbers above.

2 hours ago, jaisonline said:

My thoughts...

There is still plenty of time for the Sandcrawler.  Not many sets have the huge appreciation "pop" anymore we saw from est. 2014 to 2016).  After retirement appreciation is more like before 2012 for the avg set : slow and steady (on avg).

Totally agree that the irrational exuberance of the pop has slowed, and I believe that's a HEALTHY change from where we were.

2 hours ago, marcandre said:

10227 B-Wing was in similar shape at this point but lego blew them out before eol. It's doing ok now so there is still hope for the crawler. Crawler has some pretty nice discounts before eol as well. TRU blowout, amazon had it discounted too.

The B-Wing's life was so different than so many sets, I find it hard to bring into any comparison. Such a short life, such a wide-spread discount availability, such a HUGE sale (50%) nation-wide, but for such a short window (a few days online after the May 5th in-store blow out).

38 minutes ago, ToyCents said:

in the low to mid 400's on Amazon, will prob. take another 6-12 months and then it should hit the $500 range on there.

If the gating was as restrictive as some have hinted, this one may have a really drastic difference between ebay and Amazon.

This could be good for the set as it creates a 'false' sense of rarity on Amazon, pushing the ebay price further.

Either way, I believe in this set long-term. IT's a classic, gets nothing but rave reviews from those who have built it, and will be hard to top perhaps meaning they might not ever consider re-doing, certainly not at UCS scale.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Fenix_2k1 said:

In the UK it looks like a lot bought this expecting an immediate post retirement jump and you have people trying to just cash out, even if they are losing money by the time they've posted and paid fees.

I think the number of people loading up on big box exclusives in the next retirement will be much smaller. The "easy money" isn't as easy as they thought. 

Maybe the real problem isn't the set, but the fact that people think they are going to strike it only one year after retirement.  While it's nice to expect every set to go like an AT-AT, Town Hall, or Raptor Escape, that's not how it usually ever works on 90% of sets.  Too many people want it all, and want it now... and those are the people that will be out of the game fairly quickly. 

I admit, I've cut my spending on investments to about 1/2 of what I spent last year, which was about 1/3rd of what I spent in 2015... So, there's definitely signs that Lego investing isn't what it used to be.  However, if you invest in UCS Star Wars, I think it's wise to wait at least 3 to 4 years before you even begin to think about selling it.  The problem is most of the people that bought don't want to wait that long, and so their lack of patience should make them question why they are in the game.. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, fossilrock said:

Maybe the real problem isn't the set, but the fact that people think they are going to strike it only one year after retirement.  While it's nice to expect every set to go like an AT-AT, Town Hall, or Raptor Escape, that's not how it usually ever works on 90% of sets.  Too many people want it all, and want it now... and those are the people that will be out of the game fairly quickly. 

I admit, I've cut my spending on investments to about 1/2 of what I spent last year, which was about 1/3rd of what I spent in 2015... So, there's definitely signs that Lego investing isn't what it used to be.  However, if you invest in UCS Star Wars, I think it's wise to wait at least 3 to 4 years before you even begin to think about selling it.  The problem is most of the people that bought don't want to wait that long, and so their lack of patience should make them question why they are in the game.. 

One has to become a fossil first before to see some serious appreciation. 

Hopefully in some time most impatient investors will have quit this game and things will return back to normal. Whatever that is.

• Like 2