75059 - UCS: Sandcrawler

TheDarkness

• 5 months later...

You can still grab this guy for below RRP in the US on eBay. The just leaked system scale Sandcrawler coming in 2018 is going to cement this as a big brown turd. Hopefully anyone still holding these snagged them during the crazy discounts. I got my singular sandcrawler for less than $200 and that's just to complete my UCS collection.

CKcx28iI3HtLV-BFiJgIT9NPg3caOXD4kDFyPve4

Edited by brickvoyeur
  • Like 2

It doesnt' even look like this set comes with Aunt Beru (would have been a perfect time to finally add her to the OT minifig universe).  So, I don't see this one really harming the superior UCS version.  I still rank the UCS version as my favorite star wars build....and we've built every SW set (*except clone wars and rebels) since 2011.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

We can discuss the many reasons why the UCS Sandcrawler underperforms, but I am wondering why an inferior set would hurt the UCS Sandcrawler's value. I would think it would help it.

This....if anything it will bring attention to folks that there is a UCS version.  Let's remember the UCS Sandcrawler was still available at Amazon till about March - April from what I recall.  It has not even been a year since it disappeared at retail. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ed Mack said:

We can discuss the many reasons why the UCS Sandcrawler underperforms, but I am wondering why an inferior set would hurt the UCS Sandcrawler's value. I would think it would help it.

Exactly! It's like saying people won't buy a UCS X-Wing because they could buy Poe's X-Wing or the Resistance X-Wing. Or people won't buy the UCS TIE Fighter because they could buy the FO Tie Fighter. The system-scale sets are play sets, and they aim at their own markets.

If anything, collector's want to have the best version of a vehicle. Nobody will trade in their 10174 Imperial AT-ST UCS set for the newer system-scaled 75183 AT-ST Walker. Or the 10212 Imperial Shuttle UCS set for the Imperial Shuttle Tydirium. Knowing there's a bigger and better version out there while make real collectors want it!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Haay said:

Exactly! It's like saying people won't buy a UCS X-Wing because they could buy Poe's X-Wing or the Resistance X-Wing. Or people won't buy the UCS TIE Fighter because they could buy the FO Tie Fighter. The system-scale sets are play sets, and they aim at their own markets.

If anything, collector's want to have the best version of a vehicle. Nobody will trade in their 10174 Imperial AT-ST UCS set for the newer system-scaled 75183 AT-ST Walker. Or the 10212 Imperial Shuttle UCS set for the Imperial Shuttle Tydirium. Knowing there's a bigger and better version out there while make real collectors want it!

I think its more interesting and appropriate to figure out and offer (whatever) thesis WHY.. the Sandcrawler (which has absolutely no meaning and place in SW trilogy for the past 30 years) ... and WHY NOW.. could it play some role in the last sequel.. ? Does TLG monitor somehow the secondary market? is TLG so desperate that if Disney does not give them enough "ideas/stuff" to work on" that they need to resurrect some "idols from the past".. ? .. and while at this question: could TLG resurrect the Sandcrawler without Disney's permission? .. is SW theme not making enough $$$ on merchandise therefore Disney is squeezing the theme up to its roots..?

These are the questions that should be asked in my opinion .. not if its smaller, cheaper.. bigger..  you have to learn your enemy to defeat him - in this particular case to protect yourself ..  :) . 

Edited by crayxlp
several grammar mistakes

I think its more interesting and appropriate to figure out and offer (whatever) thesis WHY.. the Sandcrawler (which has absolutely no meaning and place in SW trilogy for the past 30 years) ... and WHY NOW.. could it play some role in the last sequel.. ? Does TLG monitor somehow the secondary market? is TLG so desperate that if Disney does not give them enough "ideas/stuff" to work on" that they need to resurrect some "idols from the past".. ? .. and while at this question: could TLG resurrect the Sandcrawler without Disney's permission? .. is SW theme not making enough $$$ on merchandise therefore Disney is squeezing the theme up to its roots..?

These are the questions that should be asked in my opinion .. not if its smaller, cheaper.. bigger..  you have to learn your enemy to defeat him - in this particular case to protect yourself ..   . 

In my opinion you're looking for a connection that isn't there. Every new wave has one or a few sets from the OT and PT. There's a new General Grievous Starfighter in the Winter wave. Do you think he has some role to play in Episode 9 as well? There's a "new" Mos Eisley Cantina set too. Do you think Kylo Ren visits Tatooine in Episode 9? Of course not.

TLG just soft reboots the old designs in most cases to fill out the wave. How many Droid Escape Pod sets have there been? They save their "effort" (such as it is) to put out newly designed sets for the newest movie.
  • Like 3

Just now, crayxlp said:

but you actually are just following my point. These are the exact same things that I was asking.. so you think that TLG had to ask Disney to give them permission to release a new GGrievous.. ? and if so - was it TLG to ask for it - or Disney asking TLG to do that.. :)

My supposition is that their designers are probably spitballing ideas all the time and whatever makes the most fiscal sense is what they take to LFL/Disney. Disney will approve or hold back based upon the numbers and upon if they have a need to withhold due to some story need. The upcoming Sandcrawler set looks like it comes with Tatooine Luke. I highly doubt they'll be revisiting Luke in his farming days.

The YT videos feature a slightly less blurry image of the Sandcrawler box.  Piece count appears to be under 1,000 (only 3 X's) which means the UCS version will remain superior (no duh).  I'm ok with that because my Lego budget is pretty low nowadays.  I'm thinking $80-100 RRP and with sale prices in the $60-70 range.  

Edited by Mathew

6 minutes ago, Mathew said:

The YT videos feature a slightly less blurry image of the Sandcrawler box.  Piece count appears to be under 1,000 (only 3 X's) which means the UCS version will remain superior (no duh).  I'm ok with that because my Lego budget is pretty low nowadays.  I'm thinking $80-100 RRP and with sale prices in the $60-70 range.  

as others mentioned, if you ever have the budget down the road treat yourself to one, it is an awesome model. 

• 1 year later...