10218 - Pet Shop

legoaddiction

When will 10218 Pet Shop become permanently unavailable at retail?  

466 members have voted

1. 1. When will 10218 Pet Shop become permanently unavailable at retail?

14 minutes ago, GhostDad said:

It's basically $180 shipped on eBay, MISB in a decent box.  So I'm not exactly overwhelmed.  The number of sellers (143) doesn't seem too bad for a modular though.  I'm expecting PC to climb at least to ~$250 before plateauing.  Really rapid post-EOL bounces seem to mostly involve sets with a lot of post-EOL reseller buying, and that inevitably leads to crashes down the line (as with Arkham Asylum and Sea Cow).

I fixed it for you lol :) 

1 hour ago, redghostx said:

You're right as those 3 are better sets but the Pet Shop is the only one that people need many multiples of to make a large city and that is its main draw.

Huh.  Folks said the same thing about GE (you can combine four of them to make a Super Grand Emporium), but it still significantly underperformed FB.  Of course, my modular city consists of nothing but Fire Brigades.  Without a property tax base, the firefighters' pension fund is 0% funded and I've been paying their salaries with borrowed money.  On the other hand, there's never been a serious fire.

• Like 1

I've never really understood this idea that everyone is going to want 2 or 3 of these in their displays.  I don't know anyone currently with 2 or 3 in their display, so I highly doubt that many people are going to need multiples at aftermarket prices.  If anything they'll buy one and then use the instructions to build more buildings in other colors. 

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Mos_Eisley said:

I've never really understood this idea that everyone is going to want 2 or 3 of these in their displays.  I don't know anyone currently with 2 or 3 in their display, so I highly doubt that many people are going to need multiples at aftermarket prices.  If anything they'll buy one and then use the instructions to build more buildings in other colors. 

With most modulars I would agree as most modulars are very unique and defined.  With PS, its generic and the split function of the buildings helps it blend into a city scene.  Its very easy to make cosmetically look slightly different and multiples can be used to flesh out a sprawling city block or two.

So I can see both sides of this argument as to why or why not somebody would want multiples.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
47 minutes ago, dogma95 said:

I can buy a set for € 150 at the local store. Is it worth buying it for investment?

My honest opinion at this price point is; the only way is up! If you check this forum you shall see that there is a lot of negatism about this set. Compared to other modulars, this one had the longest lifespan. A lot of Brickpickers think that this set is 'overhoarded' and therefore have less expectations regarding possible gains than other modulars that retired. But when I look at Marktplaats (local EBay) I see that this set is growing steadily to €175,-/€180,- already. 

Let's put it otherwise; I'm glad I have 9 of this set. 4 of this I have bought at RRP. I'm confident that you can get a good return on this set. Especially when you have a long breath and don't sell immediately.

Edited by Pietsma
Typo
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, dogma95 said:

I can buy a set for € 150 at the local store. Is it worth buying it for investment?

Investment in Lxgo is composed of by some money to put aside to buy the sets, willing to hold it for long term, able to store them and keep them in good condition, only get the investment money back when you sell it, and when you sell it, you might encounter dispute/scam etc. .....if you just do it for a few sets, i think it is just for fun, not sure it is really for investment. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 2/21/2017 at 1:42 PM, Haay said:

After an initial post-EOL price hike to about €180-€190 for a NISB set, the going price has now plunged back to basically RRP level: €150.

I see a lot of sales on German eBay within the last week between 180€ and 200€ (excl. shipping).

On 09/03/2017 at 7:08 AM, makr said:

I see a lot of sales on German eBay within the last week between 180€ and 200€ (excl. shipping).

Selling on eBay means you lose about 13½ % on fees to eBay and PayPal combined. So a €180 sale on eBay equals a €155 sale on a free Ads site like Marktplaats.

Currently the lower end asking price for Pet Shop on Marktplaats is around €170 - €180. That's comparable to around €200 on eBay. ;) 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi Henry.

According to The Crystal Ball Fiscal Times investment section the market forecast to reach that point is approximately by December 2024. Maybe.

You need to:

1)stop buying any LEGO for investiments immediately

2) read this site a whole lot more  

3) start tracking prices of retired sets on ebay (you're not able to sell LEGO on Amazon if you're not grandfathered in already

4) ignore the hype of any LEGO better than gold for investment viral internet articals that are the result of lazy e-journalists and gullible readers

before you can realise that believing such a question is in any way tangeable to any known reality is the reason why LEGO investing is on a downward trajectory for most people that are not clued in, and also for many who are.

Edited by Anomander
  • Like 9

Guest TabbyBoy

Put it this way... I'm happy to sell my mint Pet Shops for £135 (or some in slightly worn box for £120) plus P&P ;-)

I'm not at home for 2 weeks so please PM if interested. There'll be more available as a friend (not on BP) is bailing out after 8 years in the game!

BTW... UK or Ireland only please ;-)

Edited by TabbyBoy