Space - general discussion

TheOrcKing

To the stars....  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Which are your favorite astronauts? (Select all that apply.)

• Classic
    • Futuron
    • Blacktron I
    • Blacktron II
    • Space Police I
    • Space Police II
    • Space Police III
    • M:Tron
    • Ice Planet 2002
    • Spyrius
    • Unitron
    • Exploriens
    • UFO
    • Insectoids
    • Life on Mars
    • Mars Mission
    • Alien Conquest
    • Galaxy Squad
  2. 2. Which would be your most favorite group?

• Classic
    • Futuron
    • Blacktron I
    • Blacktron II
    • Space Police I
    • Space Police II
    • Space Police III
    • M:Tron
    • Ice Planet 2002
    • Spyrius
    • Unitron
    • Exploriens
    • UFO
    • Insectoids
    • Life on Mars
    • Mars Mission
    • Alien Conquest
    • Galaxy Squad
  3. 3. Would you like to see old factions return in new sets?

• Yes
    • No

Before Star Wars ended up dominating the world of Lego Space, there were plenty of factions hurtling throughout the cosmos. Even afterwards every now and again, Lego does release their own original Space theme (thankfully) but not quite as much like the pre "Lego Star Wars" era. Anyway, which groups of astronauts were your favorites?

You can use this link to browse through them all.

Classic, all the way.  On one hand I'd like a revisit on some older sets, on the other I think just let them be, would all depend on how it was executed I guess.

I was a Blacktron I kid but I feel exactly the same.

Luckily, one of the few things I did "right" with my toys as a kid was that I kept all my space LEGO separate from our other LEGO bin. It's still sitting in storage .. I haven't brought it out for the kids yet. I might never...

An M:Tron Mine MOC you say....

Oh man....I think I need to go change my pants now :P.  Love the little details like the magnifying glass on the skeleton and the cave troll!  And dem Monorails :drool:!  My current vision is definitely along these lines (Main base building, landing pad, mine area and space to integrate a monorail in the future).  It helps alot seeing the trans-neon green pieces integrated into the rocks like veins of ore.  Was planning on trying it but wasn't sure how it would look.  Oh man, must resist the urge to get on cracklink!

Where on earth did you find this as I have spent a descent amount of time browsing space moc's around the internet and have never seen this before.

EDIT: Never mind, just noticed the link at the beginning of the post lol

Oh man....I think I need to go change my pants now :P.  Love the little details like the magnifying glass on the skeleton and the cave troll!  And dem Monorails :drool:!

That is awesome. Makes it so tempting to go out all buy all the M-tron sets and make this.

If you think that is impressive then this will blow your mind like that clip from Scanners I always use. Haha.

12802987145_7945e110a7_b.jpg

Here's a slight addition to the same build. (I only just realized that after posting the other pic.)

13060927935_dbb8c890bf_o.jpg

• Like 2

I realize all I have done thus far is post some MOCs cool as they are but no actual opinion of my own on the subject. Ahem. I do like all the Space themes in general but the classics will always be that. Futuron was a slight upgrade from the originals but not so much to where Classic & Futuron wouldn't mix. Even after all these years, Blacktron still continues to be the 'big baddies' of space travel which is certainly saying something. I had an absolute blast cutting down ice formations with the likes of Ice Planet. (I'm a big fan of anything snow related for some reason. I guess I just like how it makes everything in life look.) M:Tron simply has one of the best color schemes used in any theme alongside Spyrius which I believe personally is my all-around favorite Space theme.

Was Spyrius good or bad? Who knows, and that is what was great with these early themes and sets besides just being Lego. There really wasn't anything 'set in stone' as to who was good or bad (aside from the commercials). It was all a matter of what you wanted from your own imagination. To me Spyrius was one of those 'inbetweeners'; they weren't really good or bad. I think another reason I enjoyed Spyrius was for the simple fact it was the first theme to come with the awesome minifigure droid which is a signature if not central piece of the theme.

Moving along, it would be neat to see these classic Space themes make a return but not released as is. Lego should do something similar along the lines of how they brought back Space Police where it was the same but different. I also dig it when new characters are released that give a general nod towards the older themes such as Classic Space or Blacktron. Until then I will just try and design inspired builds based on these starfaring adventurers. I have so been wanting to build something Spyrius themed for a very long time personally.

Moving along, it would be neat to see these classic Space themes make a return but not released as is. Lego should do something similar along the lines of how they brought back Space Police where it was the same but different. I also dig it when new characters are released that give a general nod towards the older themes such as Classic Space or Blacktron. Until then I will just try and design inspired builds based on these starfaring adventurers. I have so been wanting to build something Spyrius themed for a very long time personally.

Instead of re-releasing classic space, they should just release a new Benny set every year and leave it as part of The LEGO Movie theme (extended edition). The sets basically new but maintain those classic / old school space looks that so many can identify with. So after Benny's Spacehshipx3, next year it could be Benny's Planet Rover!!, then Benny's SpaceStation, etc etc. The important thing is to leave the price point at around $100 to capture the widest audience. Basically your Winter Village series for the old school space enthusiasts (and Benny's fans ;) ). In addition, this will keep TLM sub-brand "fresh" until the next movie is here (2017?)

Instead of re-releasing classic space, they should just release a new Benny set every year and leave it as part of The LEGO Movie theme (extended edition). The sets basically new but maintain those classic / old school space looks that so many can identify with. So after Benny's Spacehshipx3, next year it could be Benny's Planet Rover!!, then Benny's SpaceStation, etc etc. The important thing is to leave the price point at around $100 to capture the widest audience. Basically your Winter Village series for the old school space enthusiasts (and Benny's fans ;) ). In addition, this will keep TLM sub-brand "fresh" until the next movie is here (2017?)

Neat ideas for more of classic Benny but I feel like having them all around the $100 price point actually narrows the audience only to the oldest or more devout fans (with the cash). Now I think if you have those alongside some smaller sized sets to get the younger kids hooked then they will go for the larger ones in a heartbeat. Well, that is after pleading and begging with their parents anyway. Haha.

• 1 year later...