What are your Top 5 Architecture sets?

henrysunset

top_5_architecture_models-600x208.jpg
What is your favorite Lego Architecture set?

I love the Lego Architecture Series and have built almost every model.  I just completed an article on my blog where I've identified my 5 favorite sets under 50$.  I'd love to hear what other fans of the Architecture Series think.

LINK: http://tomalphin.com...cture-sets.html

Some questions I'd love to hear your thoughts on:

• How many people on this forum have built most of (or all) of the sets in this series?
  • What's your favorite set?
  • What most important for a great set in the Architecture series?  Realism, advanced building techniques, great parts selection, the instruction booklet,  size of finished model, price?

Sincerely,
---tom

• Like 1

Great article I have built all 5 of these and agree with you, I cringed when I saw I had to cut pieces to build the space needle, luckily there is room for error. That is why I would replace it with Eiffel Tower if doing a top 5 list. It is always on sale at BN for $31.45 so yes a higher price point but a much better build. I would also swap out the Empire State Building with the leaning tower of Pisa. The later is always on sale at Target for $25 before red card so almost same price point and a much better build both the Eiffel Tower and leaning tower of Pisa at RRP have a better PPP ratio

Leaning tower of Pisa $35 345 pieces 10 PPP

Eiffel Tower $35 321 pieces 11 PPP

Empire State $20 77 pieces 26 PPP

Space needle $20 57 pieces 35 PPP

I agree with you Big Ben at 3. I would put the White House at number 2, number 1 for investment out of this group, I did not find it to be a sturdy build there was just too much play in the arches and walls for my liking. The instruction manual was a little too detailed with its red arrows. As far as realism I did not like the inclusion of the trees. I believe it is the only architecture set to do this, that is include other non structural components. I understand they may represent the famous cherry trees but it made the set feel more like a creator house.

My number one would be the UN I think it is a thing of beauty once completed and on display how the translucent elements catch the sun light makes this a great presentation piece, and yes in my mind I am including the flag poles as structural pieces. The build was by far the best and most challenging IMO I like how you build small intricate rooms that are not even visible in the finished product. It shows the level of detail that went into this where lego could have just slapped a flat 10x12 white tile on top the overlapping technique was challenging to me as I don't have tiny fingers to get in there and there is no way I could build this one without the instruction booklet.

• Like 1

The Architecture Series models are what led me back to LEGO a few years ago and then to investing in sets. I usually end up buying most of mine from Barnes and Noble since they always have a big supply and I can use my member discount and coupons to get about 30% off retail. 

From the under $50 sets I think the UN building would rank first. Some really clever techniques and great parts in the set. I think the Rockefeller / Willis Tower are kinda boring but I have some in my inventory to sell next Christmas. 

Among the larger sets I think the Imperial Hotel would be my favorite. It was a great build and beautiful model, but I was disappointed that the back is unfinished. I guess they could not do one at that scale and include the whole hotel

As far as realism I did not like the inclusion of the trees. I believe it is the only architecture set to do this, that is include other non structural components. I understand they may represent the famous cherry trees but it made the set feel more like a creator house.

Falling Water had some tree/shrub vegetation, but it's not under $50.

While I haven't built all these I've built the Space Needle and the Guggenheim.  Both of which I like better than the Empire State Building.  I would probably rank the Sydney Opera House and Brandenburg Gate above the Empire State Building, but that is more a function of the source material than the models themselves.

Falling Water had some tree/shrub vegetation, but it's not under $50.

While I haven't built all these I've built the Space Needle and the Guggenheim.  Both of which I like better than the Empire State Building.  I would probably rank the Sydney Opera House and Brandenburg Gate above the Empire State Building, but that is more a function of the source material than the models themselves.

I was looking at the landmark series not the Architect series. A lot of people don't know that lego has these two lines with the later having a Frank Lloyd Wright sub theme

http://architecture.lego.com/en-us/products/

• 2 months later...
Guest davewager78

Just finished the Leaning Tower of Pisa. A tad repetitive in places, but i guess not as repetitive as the real thing would have been to build. It's a nice finished article, but i'm not sure i'd want to pay more than the

• 6 months later...

My 10 y/o has most of the Architecture sets.  His favorites to date are:

The White House - his first Architecture set

Sungnyemun Gate

Big Ben

Leaning Tower of Pisa

Sydney Opera House - he's thinking about trying to save up for the large version

Edited by jberry5

• 1 month later...

1. Eiffel

2. UN

3. Pisa

4. Guggenheim

5. The Rock

As a collector, my key factors that comprise a great set vary from model to model: Icon, qualities of finish, display, build and design, and creativity within the scale.

As an investor, I think value will be driven mostly by these factors in their order. I've built most of the sets but got here too late for Hancock. I'd love to know what other architecture fans think will drive value in the long run.

Does the first in theme consistently outperform it's successors in retirement?

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hello 

My favorites  bridge tower, white house, trevi, pisa tower and space needle.

but what do you think about the Louvre ? on my wish list ,  I think it could be good investment as it is great to build and has rare bricks in it .. my concern is that it is not so beautiful to display as other buildings. 

• 3 months later...