6862 - Superman Vs Power Armor Lex

exciter1

LEGO Super Heroes Superman Vs Power Armor Lex 6862 $19.99 Not really a sale, but I've seen people reporting when they are in stock. It's now finally back to retail price. The first time it has been this price on Amazon since before Christmas. http://www.amazon.com/LEGO-Super-Heroes-Superman-Power/dp/B005VPRF2K/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=15MYOTYXIW6B8&coliid=I2AB2X6B19MX86

• 10 months later...

For the last 2 months, I've been buying this set when on-sale. Since it's release in Dec 2011, it seems to have always been under the radar due to more popular sets (Batman, Avengers, etc...). Physical in-store stock has always been hit or miss in my area. Since Oct, it hasn't really been available at least around me ( except for 1 over-priced TRU). Online inventory is still good if you want some. Note : it is already retired in all countries except the US and Canada.

I think 6862 will do very well once retired based on recently retired / soon to be retired sets like Capt America's Cycle, Wolverine, and Catwoman. Additionally, Superman has prob better appeal outside of the US ( based on recent movie research).

It is the only set that contains Lex and Wonder Woman (for now). Also the only way to buy Supes in his classic attire. The Mech-like is surprisingly good. It holds together well and looks cool with Luthor.

The set sells consistently on bricklink for $18+. The minifigs already sell decently. Superman sells $8-$11, Wonder Woman for $5-7, and Lex a paltry $2-$4 (too bad he's not wearing the green armor suit like in that poly or game box).

With the upcoming 2015 Superman II (with Bats & Wonder Woman) movie, this set should keep the fans happy until new sets are introduced with minifig refreshes.

My (for what it's worth) April 2015 target price is $60 ($75 with luck) for a set that can still be had for under $15. I selected April 2015 assuming the next movie is released in May or July because I'll be unloading my sets prior to it's release due to the probability of refreshed sets being available and pre-movie hype ( in case it tanks).

post-3743-0-52654800-1387639679_thumb.jp

post-3743-0-54373200-1387640382_thumb.jp

• Like 2

I currently have 5 of these and I have always been really skeptical about this set but you make some very good points. This is definitely an under the radar set which constantly sees discounts. I would imagine it will be retiring soon with all the new super hero stuff coming out.

I also wanted to add that this is a strange looking set/box. Every time I see it on the shelf I do a double take. It is one of the only sets I can think of that has this type of box. To me it doesn't look like a LEGO box and I think that is why I always do a double take on it.

I got a butt load of these for $10 and they have sold really well. I've sold probably half of the ones I had. Ready to pick up any more that I can for a good price. Most of mine I sold for $26. Three exclusive figures can't hurt. I think Wonder Woman probably won't make another appearance for a while and the more classic superman has a nicer appeal than the man of steel sets. 

I got a butt load of these for $10 and they have sold really well. I've sold probably half of the ones I had. Ready to pick up any more that I can for a good price. Most of mine I sold for $26. Three exclusive figures can't hurt. I think Wonder Woman probably won't make another appearance for a while and the more classic superman has a nicer appeal than the man of steel sets.

Great buy-in price. My avg paid is $14 after tax. I should have bought more during Target's last few BOGOs.

Will you keep the remaining sets for longer term growth resale?

I am a fan of the set as well, but have waned a tiny bit in my excitement over the last few months. One, to me the newer Superman sets seem to be duds for the most part. Seems like Superman alone can't carry those sets - right now for example I can go to pretty much any store around me and find the full run of the new ones - including 6862 - while most of the other super hero sets are low in supply.

I also seem to have a pretty easy time finding this set still, certainly vs Wolverine, even months before Wolverine was sold out online anywhere. I also agree with Legodog, I get why they did the box art vertically, it just looks weird when displayed compared to other $20 sets.

I still love this set for many reasons you mention, I am just not picking up any more at the moment for $15, lower than that and I will get some more.

I think you've made some valid points - I've been trying to work my buy in price down (CAN retail is $24.99) using 20-25% off plus promo codes and coupons when I can.  I'm not sure I'm ready to pay full retail (although I did pay full retail for a couple Wolverine Choppers a couple weeks ago) but as this gets harder to find, I might in a pinch.

I tend to think $50-60 in 2015 is more reasonable...although I too hope it hits $75.

I agree with you. I think I have 10 of these. In addition to the points you've mentioned, this set has been featured prominently in many of the comic books, lego magazines, and early reader superhero books (which I read thanks to my young kids). Bodes well for the future.

Yup. I also forgot to mention this set (Mech suit and figs) was featured prominently in the direct to video Batman Lego movie (based on the Batman II video game)

I have always loved this set and heavily endorsed it to anyone that would listen.  It can commonly be had for under $15.  I sell the minifigs hand over fist one eBay for a total of $20, and get about $6 for the pieces.  This isn't huge money, but I focus on volume and have literally bought and sold this set over 100 times.  When a $15 set consistently turns into $26, and especially while it is readily available, that is a good indicator of a great set.  There is no reason whatsoever that this set should not be profitable as an investment after it retires.  I won't be caught dead without a ton of these sets once they're gone.

• Like 1