6285 Black Seas Barracuda Display

brickelements

With something this old how can I verify it is authentic Lego Display?

Arcylic encasement, rectangular, Lego (andy worhol like dot print) paper backing.

A light gray plastic/vinyl (about 1" tall) border around the bottom.  When upside down you can see the bottom is constructed out of 3/4 or thicker plywood with a solid wood frame around it.

To help visualize, bottom to top,

solid wood frame then plywood, then blue baseplates, then model.

all encased in 1/4 in acrylic plexiglass.

The whole thing is huge and may weight around 40lbs.

I will add photos later.

Sorry I am not home  to upload a pic...

With something this old how can I verify it is authentic Lego Display?

Arcylic encasement, rectangular, Lego (andy worhol like dot print) paper backing.

A light gray plastic/vinyl (about 1" tall) border around the bottom.  When upside down you can see the bottom is constructed out of 3/4 or thicker plywood with a solid wood frame around it.

To help visualize, bottom to top,

solid wood frame then plywood, then blue baseplates, then model.

all encased in 1/4 in acrylic plexiglass.

The whole thing is huge and may weight around 40lbs.

I will add photos later.

Sorry I am not home  to upload a pic...

...does the display have a small island with a coconut tree, a brown row boat and the pirate captain with a chest of treasures?... if so, then the display is authentic... it's an old TRU store display...

Thank you for the info.

As a matter of fact it does have a palm tree in the front right side of the display.

I will check it again when I get home to make sure. 

The plam tree needs to be glued down as it came apart in shipping.

Pristine sails.

The acrylic needs to be polished.    Any suggestions for polishing acrylic.

6285 was the last set I received as a late teenager (18) yeah I am that old 42.

I was assembled a few times mostly used for display.  Since the shroud of the dark ages was lifted I have accumulated quick a nice vintage pirate collection.

May still be tops in my brickfolio.

Still trying to update that list with buy dates and amounts for the last 3 years.

I am looking forward to pics, always wanted the barracuda.

I have (6) I think.  I can work a reasonable trade if you like.

(5) I am willing to part with.  All should be complete, 4 have instructions and 1 has the box...the box is not a great asset as the top panel has come unglued.

Great set, nice build 2+ hours depending on your speed.

Thank you for the info.

As a matter of fact it does have a palm tree in the front right side of the display.

I will check it again when I get home to make sure. 

The plam tree needs to be glued down as it came apart in shipping.

Pristine sails.

The acrylic needs to be polished.    Any suggestions for polishing acrylic.

6285 was the last set I received as a late teenager (18) yeah I am that old 42.

I was assembled a few times mostly used for display.  Since the shroud of the dark ages was lifted I have accumulated quick a nice vintage pirate collection.

May still be tops in my brickfolio.

Still trying to update that list with buy dates and amounts for the last 3 years.

...that's the one!... you have an authentic Lego display from the early '90 (if I'm not mistaken)... the acrylic case of the one I have has lots of scratches, too, and I've been meaning to use something that are advertized on TV... just didn't get around to doing it... that acrylic is one tough case because I have loads of Lego (in boxes) on top of it and can support all that weight...

I have (6) I think. I can work a reasonable trade if you like.

(5) I am willing to part with. All should be complete, 4 have instructions and 1 has the box...the box is not a great asset as the top panel has come unglued.

Great set, nice build 2+ hours depending on your speed.

Why would you tempt me like that :P. PM me with what you are looking for. I really shouldn't, as I stick to space sets but it would look amazing next to the Skull's Eye I have back home....

As far as polishing acyclic, clean it with a mild harmless cleaner and a microfiber cloth. Then use a unscented acrylic based floor protector. It will take care of minor scratches. Anything deeper than that I wouldn't know...

Why would you tempt me like that :P. PM me with what you are looking for. I really shouldn't, as I stick to space sets but it would look amazing next to the Skull's Eye I have back home....

As far as polishing acyclic, clean it with a mild harmless cleaner and a microfiber cloth. Then use a unscented acrylic based floor protector. It will take care of minor scratches. Anything deeper than that I wouldn't know...

What kind of inventory/stock do you have? 

I am told this is a Vintage Toys R Us Store display.

Bought it a couple of years ago.

Not quite solid wood frame.  3/4 in Plywood.

Shameless Bumping.

That's the exact store display I got at least a decade ago. The only difference between yours and mine is the underside - mine is even and cleaner so it stands evenly well. You got one great classic display... good find!...

That has to be worth a mint, the ship itself is worth a lot to the right international buyer. I am seriously jelly.

...as with all store displays, this set is glued together... just so you know... nevertheless, it is a wonderful display piece...

Thank you.  

The bottom is quite flat and sits evenly on a level surface.

Not sure what the black stuff is, has the consistency of old bubble gum, doesn't smell like anything.

I am not tasting it.

For the right trade nearly anything in my collection is available.

Shipping would expensive and dangerous.

I can;t believe it arrived in one piece when originally sent to me.  I bought on ebay (i think 2012).

No idea of value other than what I paid for it.

This display is one that can actually fetch a pretty penny on the secondary market.  Iconic LEGO sets are usually not made into displays.  The detail on this one, with the island and water made out of LEGO bricks is quite special.  As stated above, I am jealous as well.

Thank you.  

Not sure what the black stuff is, has the consistency of old bubble gum, doesn't smell like anything.

I am not tasting it.

I can;t believe it arrived in one piece when originally sent to me.  I bought on ebay (i think 2012).

The black stuff is probably some sort of anti skid stick-um material.  That is an old set and many rubber type products used in bases or rubber feet were probably not being used.  Where do you live if you don't mind me asking?

Thank you.  

I am not tasting it.

...for me, I don't really put any monetary value on sets that has been discontinued for many years because as anything in this world, some will say more, some will say less... the value of the "piece" is really in the eyes of the beholder, so I look at it as a unique piece, thus is priceless...

...on a separate note, with these old store displays, you can see how TLC has evolved as far as detail and complexity in making such displays...

Ed or anyone,

Any idea on the rarity of a piece like this?

...as I have stated earlier, the person whom I got this from said it used to be a TRU store display... honestly, I don't recall seeing this at my local TRU store, but we can assume it's a display from the early '90s... we know that back then, there were more TRU stores before the company downsized and started closing stores in the mid-2000s... how many of this particular display survived is probably anybody's guess...

Wow...Got a Jelly out of Ed....as a newbie to the site that is awesome!

Thanks man. 

Hoping to put my new son thru college on my Lego collection/investments.

Still trying to work out a decent selling schedule that works for my goals.

Start selling at 50% profit, 100%, 150%?

I have only averaged about 5K in sales the last two years.

Not very proactive when it comes to selling.  Reading as much as I can about the time value of money trying to get the biggest bang for evey buck invested.

Another issue is being able to  detach myself from the new Lego sets primarily bought the business-like side of my tiny Lego empire.

St

I am trying to update my brickfolio, but I should have about 750-760 sets so far about 500K+ pieces, using this websites estimates about 58-60K in value.

I prefer the larger sets in any series I get interested in.  More work involved turning over smaller sets.  Yeah some tend to outperfom on a percentage basis but I have to sell so many.

Still trying to inventory some vintage loose city and classic space sets.

Love the site Ed, wish I would have found it sooner.  Great resource!

This isn't the proper forum for it, but I thought I would ask anyway.

Can I request sorting In future updates to the brickfolio tables.

Sort by column: price, piece count, theme...etc

By trade I am a web designer, not much of a coder though...I am available to bounce ideas off of if needed.

Thanks

Scott - Brickelements

...as I have stated earlier, the person whom I got this from said it used to be a TRU store display... honestly, I don't recall seeing this at my local TRU store, but we can assume it's a display from the early '90s... we know that back then, there were more TRU stores before the company downsized and started closing stores in the mid-2000s... how many of this particular display survived is probably anybody's guess...

So true with lighted moving displays.

I enjoy the newer star wars displays will all the included minifigs and what set to find them.  Simple but genious...