7939 - Cargo Train

ahming2121

I'll bet on 7939 coz: 1. Produced in 2010, 2 years already. 2. Train series with power unit, all time favorite 3. Many special features like mini cars, yellow Lego container, red truck... 4. Yellow color is much better than red (3677) as a "Cargo train" (just my personal point of view) I think it will EOL soon and will raise to over $200 by the end of this year, after Lego announced some new trains for 2013. Any thoughts?

I don't think you can go wrong with freight trains (both red and yellow), and I definitely agree that 7939 is probably on its last legs. I feel that the Maersk train is a better investment, mainly because it's more of a collector's set, like one for AFOLs. I think you'll have greater returns with the Maersk set, but regardless, you can't go wrong with either.

I don't think you can go wrong with freight trains (both red and yellow), and I definitely agree that 7939 is probably on its last legs. I feel that the Maersk train is a better investment, mainly because it's more of a collector's set, like one for AFOLs. I think you'll have greater returns with the Maersk set, but regardless, you can't go wrong with either.

I agree.

I agree also, I have had trouble finding the Maersk train lately though, they're sold out at my nearest Lego store and I hate ordering from the Lego website. But like the Sante Fe and Emerald Night I believe the Maersk train is your best current train investment, the red and yellow freight trains will probably do well also, just not quite as well.

I agree also, I have had trouble finding the Maersk train lately though, they're sold out at my nearest Lego store and I hate ordering from the Lego website. But like the Sante Fe and Emerald Night I believe the Maersk train is your best current train investment, the red and yellow freight trains will probably do well also, just not quite as well.

Trains are just big money makers. The Maersk train is a wonderful set.

• 6 months later...

Hi, Is the Cargotrain 7939 discontinued? Brickset says availability in USA and Canada on lego site was until 15th March 2013, but when I looked on lego site other day using USA shop it was still on there. Wanted to check, as if it is I would buy some now because value will soon shoot up, but if not I need the money for other things/sets. I can still get this in UK at moment. Any ideas/help? Thanks.

It's still on Amazon US because there are a bunch of third party sellers who have it in stock, but for an inflated price (at least $60 over MSRP). Not sure why Amazon.com (directly from Amazon, not third party), but it is still available on LEGO Shop at Home and order 99 of them, so I think this is the last of the stock that's going to be around for regular MSRP. I would grab one now, if I were you, over some other sets.

Would it make sense to grab a couple of these at this point? I would only get them if you guys think it will go EOL fairly soon and also if it's expected to do well in the short term. Especially interesting with double points.

I think that it will EOL soon, just because looking at Amazon, they have prices that are much higher than usual. It makes sense to me to pick one, or a couple, up, but that's me. Plus it's a train, and trains tend to be good investments. I think I would rather have the Free Shipping instead of double VIP because shipping is way more expensive than those VIP rewards that you would get from getting it.

Do you know if They offer free shipping if I order it at an actual LEGO store?

I think they might. If they don't have it in stock, they should do it free because that is what other retailers usually do if they don't have it in stock. Not 100% sure, but I think it should be free. Good luck!

I think they might. If they don't have it in stock, they should do it free because that is what other retailers usually do if they don't have it in stock. Not 100% sure, but I think it should be free. Good luck!

Just called. They will ship it free anywhere in the US if ordered at the store. So, should I get it? lol, don't want to be holding it for a long time since I don't have that much disposable income to buy LEGO's at this point so I have to be very picky.

Just called. They will ship it free anywhere in the US if ordered at the store. So, should I get it? lol, don't want to be holding it for a long time since I don't have that much disposable income to buy LEGO's at this point so I have to be very picky.

If it's anything like the Maersk Train, you should hold it for less than a year, and still get a decent return. Again, it could increase more than that less than a year, but sounds like you need some cash flow. Same here!

Good choice! Trains tend to be a pretty solid investment as they are popular with AFOLs and kids.

Good thing is, the first thing I bought as an investment a couple months ago was the Haunted House at retail on Amazon. I had no experience at all and a couple of weeks later I kind of regretted it since that seems to be staying on the market for a while. A family member offered to buy it from me at the same price I paid, so I am basically just switching funds from that to the cargo train that I hope retires sooner.

Good choice! Trains tend to be a pretty solid investment as they are popular with AFOLs and kids.

Good thing is, the first thing I bought as an investment a couple months ago was the Haunted House at retail on Amazon. I had no experience at all and a couple of weeks later I kind of regretted it since that seems to be staying on the market for a while. A family member offered to buy it from me at the same price I paid, so I am basically just switching funds from that to the cargo train that I hope retires sooner.

The chance the train retires soon is likely considering that it has been around since 2010. The Haunted House will probably be around for a lot longer than the train, (About a year or 2.) so switching out those two investments was a very wise idea IMO. Good luck investing!

Just FYI, I went to my local store last weekend and since they did not carry it in stock, they had it shipped free to my door and qualified for 2x VIP points. I ordered multiples and they each came in it's own box all in great condition.

• 3 weeks later...

I'll probably get those 2, but I'm not sure how long I can wait. My goal is maximum this summer, but I'm not sure. The sets are already 2 year old, but there's no electric train for this year, so maybe they will continue again this year, and City theme seem to have a longer lifetime. So, the City expert, what you think? :)

I agree that these ones will probably be on their way out pretty soon, and I would say they will be gone by the holidays. As TheDarkness said, the Red Cargo Train is EOL, and since TLG doesn't EOL trains at the same time usually (I think?) then you should be ok until at least the summer. BTW, 7939 is OOS at LEGO Shop at Home until May 19th. http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Cargo-Train-7939