7939 - Cargo Train

ahming2121

It will more than likely shift to a backorder.

Lego retired the Red Cargo and the Maersk, I cannot see them retiring one of these as well without something else coming out first, especially needing another set with motors.

thanks, I can relax now....New Maersk train coming soon.....thats what you talking about?

No. I believe there will be another new Maersk train in the next 2 years but that has no basis other than guesswork.

The red Cargo Train and Maersk both were retired this year, with the Horizon Express coming in.

With only 2 motorised trains remaining, I find it unlikely they would retire either of them without bringing in another motorised train first. If we get an announcement on something like that though, then I would start buying a lot more.

That is my opinion though, and highly speculative :)

At this stage though, you can still get both trains easily from different stores around the world.

Guest ph4tb0i

I'd suggest for more variety for train lovers.

The passenger train really is a solid buy for the motor components, if you can find it cheap enough (better than trying to buy them from LEGO Shop at Home anyway)

This, plus the fact that the 7939 just sells really really well. I actually like the Loco + Octan car a lot (I have a loco + 4 octan cars in my collection). 

Sometimes I wish they didn't take away the 7897 though. Had to go to the secondary market for them but luckily they're not too expensive buying used in ebay. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm I'd love to see a new train coming out soon with motor functions, but I guess we won't be seeing one until 2014 because of the Horizon Express.
But what would be your guess - will LEGO launch another freight/diesel train or it might launch an older steam train? Steam trains are a bit scarce and the only ones I'm aware of are the Emerald night and the Constitution train.

• 1 month later...

Got two 7939 for 140.61 each, tax included.  Still a good idea?

I am hesitant. The brickpicker value is at $170.90 each. I think it would be a good idea when the set is near retirement, but I do not see that happening soon. Also, forgot that the MSRP is $179.99. At the price you got them at, I think it is a good deal.

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone I was wondering how long will the 7939 Cargo train last? It's a 2010 year set and the red one already retired. I'm thinking of investing in it, but the long life is putting me off a bit.

the red one already retired? are you talking about 3677 or 7398? 

the 7398 has not retired and I think that this is the "brother" of 7939

I think that the retirement of 3677 doesn't matter

Guest ph4tb0i

I have 15 of these hoarded up. They're on sale on amazon.uk for 86.66. I think even now you can make money on it if you're willing to part it out. 

Just had a look at 3677. Assuming it was a normal set  - ie not a limited edition - I am surprised its EOL when 7937-9 are not and as has been said are older.

Also the fact its numbered 3677 and not a 79nn is also a bit odd.

I wonder if they pulled because it was not selling well or because it was too similar to 7939.

For those that have bought these to build, what do they think of the Passenger/Cargo trains?  I'm not a huge train person, but I do like everything the Cargo train has, but even at Amazon, $160 is a steep price.  I don't think I'd invest in a bunch of these as they come out fairly often(not saying they won't do well, just saying it's not something I personally wouldn't load up on), but it's something I would like to build and add to a city scene.