Brick sorting service, for a fee

exciter1

I wouldn't use this service. I would rather sort my bricks by myself to see what hidden treasures I have.

This is one of the best parts of sorting a Lego lot in my mind.  I love looking for interesting pieces that I haven't seen, researching them, or even just getting rare pieces.  I probably waste time with this, but it is what keeps me enjoying the sorting process.  The discovery phase is so much fun!

This is one of the best parts of sorting a Lego lot in my mind.  I love looking for interesting pieces that I haven't seen, researching them, or even just getting rare pieces.  I probably waste time with this, but it is what keeps me enjoying the sorting process.  The discovery phase is so much fun!

That is what I like doing. I always like researching interesting pieces and trying to figure out which sets they go to. Always fun. I have found a lot of obscure pieces by sorting by myself.

Great idea.  Mind numbing work.  I guess it could work if you hired enough low cost help.

In today's news, authorities discovered another LEGO parting sweat shop in West Covina. 200 undocumented workers, most of them crying and clutching orange human tools in their twisted hands, were taken to local hospitals...

• Like 3

Guest eightbrick

I understand that people would want this kind of service, I mean sorting is pretty tedious and we are FOLs, not FOS' (Fans Of Sorting :P ). The problems I see with it:

-Losing pieces during the process (they don't seem that confident with this in their FAQ, advising customers to not send rare pieces "in case"... what compensation if any do people get? Could the business get scammed this way?)

-Time and inconvenience of shipping out to California or wherever it is

-Their sorting options are pretty limited, probably enough so that some hardcore fans (who could be the biggest market for this company) might shy away from it since they would have to rearrange it afterwards to match their collection needs

-How many people do they employ/how are they sorting? If this turns out to be a success they could be inundated with orders and it might take awhile to get your bricks back.

IMO, this service would work better if it was localized. More convenient, faster, and it would justify higher prices if they catered to larger collectors creating personalized sorting solutions. Not to mention it would be a much safer test sample before going nationwide US. We Lego fans are notorious control freaks so let us work with you on the process, and people will pay the higher price for that. Cool idea though.

The pricing seems to be based on weight ranges, although not very evenly it seems. 5lb is $35, while 10lb is $80.

If they would sort into sets I can see this being more useful. I picked up a massive craigslist lot and the easy (though tedious) part was sorting into color, the hard part is picking out the parts for each set.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...