70803 - Cloud Cuckoo Palace

4cs

Tough call.  I've seen them in a couple of places, so they aren't scarce. One thing, IMO that hurts it is that the DVD release is so early in the year (mid June).  If the release was closer to Christmas, that would be better; particularly if they released the second wave of movie sets and the first wave faded out at about that time.

This will be one of the better sets from wave 1 for sure I think. $20 price point, from an investment standpoint after retirement - like before the 2nd movie comes out - seems like this is a $50 set pretty easily IMO. The wild card being how long these sets stay in production, and whether they rerelease prior to the 2nd movie. I have a hard time imagining these on the shelves for two years though...

It`s a great set that has several main characters from the film, an assortment of excellent/rare parts, and a sold MSRP price point. It will no doubt be popular among Lego movie fans for several years to come, and people will multiple children will no doubt want extra copies. Every kid wants a set of their own :thumbsup: As far as value goes, going to depend on what others have said in regard to how long it stays availabe. Sooner the better for investment, but I see no reason why it won`t hit $50 at some point. No doubt people will be will to pay as high as that for what you get.

This is basically what's going to happen, if we don't get a new normal Uni-Kitty with the Lego Movie 2,  then all versions will rise, but more specifically as if we see normal Uni-Kitty in it, then kids/AFOLs/Collectors will want one, however if we do see another "normal" (Not sure if that's the right name to call a raging overly happy anime kitten, but I'll do it anyway) version released, then really only AFOLs will want it, and that's really only 5% of the whole LEGO Community. Other versions such as the Space Kitty, Biznis Kitty and Queasy Kitty don't seem they'll appear in the second movie, so they'll raise more because of that, and aswell as being in much more expensive sets.

My final word on this is that parents won't care about which version of normal Uni-Kitty that they give their child, they'll pick the cheapest option. So will it rise in value? Sure, I can see Uni-Kitty fetching for more than retail once the set retires, especially in the haitus between the two movies, I don't expect LEGO to continue production of all of these sets until 2017, but a few definitely will, but I'm not sure either way.

Will there be that much interest in the movie/sets a year or two from now? The way I see it is that save for a small number of stragglers, anyone who knew and cared about the movie will definitely have seen it by the time the movie has been out on DVD for a few months, and will have picked up the sets that they want. People have short attention spans and memories so I think interest will only die down at least until we get close to the release of the sequel. It's this fear that's kept me from stocking up on movie sets, though I would love to be wrong and have CCP turn out to be a winner

I've been traveling for work this week and stopped in 6 different Targets. About half have labels on the planograms and 2 had 3+ in stock. I'm curious if it makes the next assortment when the summer Lego Movie sets arrive.

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker

I've been traveling for work this week and stopped in 6 different Targets. About half have labels on the planograms and 2 had 3+ in stock. I'm curious if it makes the next assortment when the summer Lego Movie sets arrive.

all targets around me have them. Two have 8+

I called the Lego store yesterday to ask if they still had these for sale and the guy told me they expect to still be selling these same sets until at least the end of this year. That's a pretty long shelf life for lego sets, is it not?

Less than 12 months on a shelf life? That's not long at all, but you should not give a lego employees opinion too much weight. I think this set will do well, I sold a few at $35 when it went oos. Hopefully it will flip like hot cakes at Christmas

I called the Lego store yesterday to ask if they still had these for sale and the guy told me they expect to still be selling these same sets until at least the end of this year. That's a pretty long shelf life for lego sets, is it not?

I typical run is more like 2 years.  These movie sets are more of an unknown, since their popularity is tied in with the movie and DVD release.

I expect this to go out of stock around Christmas and be an easy sell at $40.  I pick more up whenever I can get them for less than $15.

That's right. I didn't realize when they went on sale. I thought it had been a lot earlier than the movie but I guess I'm used to seeing sets like LoTR and Ninja Turtles which my local Wal-Marts and Targets have already cleared out the newest waves for more city and Star Wars shelf life. Time flies when everything is awesome :-)

I want this set for my personal collection, but I'll wait until it hits $16 somewhere. I don't know why I like it. I think it's the minifigs and the fact that it's a really odd build with lots of interesting pieces. Despite all the pink, something about it is calling out to me.

Everyone loves this set. Kids, moms, dads, dogs, cats, grandmas, hamsters, they all love it. The crazy colors on the box hypnotize people into buying it. No one can resist. NO ONE. $500 by Christmas.

I say it will be more like $550 but we are in the same ballpark.

Sent from my iPad using Brickpicker

• Like 1

This set is readily available in my area and I see it available on line regularly. The movie sets are uncharted territory in terms of EOL value. I honestly don't know how any of these sets will do long term with the exception of Metalbeard and Benny's Spaceship which are just great sets regardless of the theme. The movie and DVD will be ancient history by Christmas so I just don't know. I think TLG will capitalize on the popularity of Uni Kitty in the second movie and you can count on several more versions of the minifig including another regular version. If you can buy at around $15 per set you should be fine. It's worth having a few in case it does hit big long term knowing that making a small profit at least seems certain.

Sent from my iPad using Brickpicker

Annnd my stores sold out again of pretty much everything. I only found Lord Business' Evil Lair and Super Cycle Chase at Target while I think Walmart had a few odd stragglers (which basically mean a couple random sets from the theme but still equaled to very little altogether). Good grief, and I know they literally had just recently restocked.