70728 - Battle for Ninjago City

Darth Lego Lover

So what's a good USA price for this set?  (Not counting the odd 50% off clearance "find"... that just doesn't happen around me).  I'd like to get one for my kid... been watching... seems like AMZN 3PS $102 right now is about as good as it gets.  Sales tax free (which is rare for me), I could use my 11% off AMZN gift card... still, $90 just doesn't seem that attractive.  If I wait a 3 or 6 months, do ya think it will turn up for $70 or $75 ?

So what's a good USA price for this set?  (Not counting the odd 50% off clearance "find"... that just doesn't happen around me).  I'd like to get one for my kid... been watching... seems like AMZN 3PS $102 right now is about as good as it gets.  Sales tax free (which is rare for me), I could use my 11% off AMZN gift card... still, $90 just doesn't seem that attractive.  If I wait a 3 or 6 months, do ya think it will turn up for $70 or $75 ?

There is a "Like New" in the AWH for $91 and change. 

Tough to say what discounts we may see.  If you have a TRU, there is probably a chance you could do better with GC and coupon stacking depending on what their price is.

I would wait if I were you. For sure it will not get more expensive. It can only get cheaper. We've had some nice deals for this one over here in Europe. Maybe the US is next?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Anyone starting to think these might be on the way out?  I never see in the wild and they are getting heavily discounted across most retailers.  

I have built the set with my son and can honestly say it was very fun to build and one of the best sets we have in the house to display.  It has so much going for it and just looks great on the wall.  Plus for the kids it has lots of ninjas which is what most kids want to play with.  I have done well with some of the bigger more iconic NInjago sets and am thinking this will be a winner if the movie is huge and they can manage to keep pumping out that cartoon.

Honestly  I think that cartoon is like heroin for these kids.  It is totally a gateway into the whole lego world.  Once they start with a few of these they look for the other sets and it grows.  Next thing you have a child like my 7 year old that thinks it is normal to get the death star for a fun weekend build, or my six year old that thinks he should have kwik e mart to play with while he flies the hellicarrier over the simpson land he built.  

• Like 1

It's even on clearance at TRU (both online and in store) which I find very surprising since it's only been out 1 year and we know how long TRU likes to keep sets in stock well into retirement.  It comes out to about 25% off at the current price and can be had for 35-40% off with the TRUTH discount and some Raise gift cards.  Hmmm.  I may have to buy a couple this week.

Edited by zskid00

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
2 hours ago, Jersey Crewmax said:

Worth picking this guy up at $72? See it selling for over $100 already

I don't think how you would lose with picking these up at $72. I wouldn't stockpile them but one can assume that these will go for 50% above RRP by the time the movie hits.

I have high hope for this one, even it does not have a dragon in it (well it does have a dragon head). It did not linger as much as the EDB did, and I have to assume it was less stocked up as many people got burned by EDB and mechdragon. Unlike Chima, Ninjago does have adult appeal. I never watched a single episode and don't care much about the movie, but I like a lot of the ninjago sets. 

I haven't paid much attention to this set or theme until recently. My son is obsessed with Ninjago. We are building the Temple of Airjitzu and this would go nicely with that.

The more time I spend building Ninjago sets, the more I like them. Especially the more recent sets.

I love the figures. The detail on the printing is fantastic. Some of the weapons are very creative mini builds as well.

• Like 2

The building is a beautiful building. It appeals to me architecturally as an adult. It also looks to be full of play features and by all accounts is a substantial building too once assembled. I think its a winner personally. Hoping to sell off the minis once it's appreciated some to keep a few for myself just for the pieces.

My only fear about this set is about the release of the temple of airjitzu 70751, bigger and so much better looking IMO.

When the 70751 will no more be a lego exclusive, I think that must of people who want a ninjago building would rather look at this set for 170$ on amazon than the temple 70728 for the same price.

For sure some fans will still want the 70728 set but I fear that there will be a lot more offers than demands, and so a low CAGR while stocks have not lowered.

And then, I'm sure another temple will come around along with the ninjago movie.

Overall a disappointing investment due to circumstances, not the set itself (a great one). However if you planned to keep it for 2 or 3 years in stock after EOL it should perform well but for such a long time I would better invest in some other themes or invest in some other ninjago sets for a shorter time.

Edited by biniou
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, biniou said:

My only fear about this set is about the release of the temple of airjitzu 70751, bigger and so much better looking IMO.

When the 70751 will no more be a lego exclusive, I think that must of people who want a ninjago building would rather look at this set for 170$ on amazon than the temple 70728 for the same price.

For sure some fans will still want the 70728 set but I fear that there will be a lot more offers than demands, and so a low CAGR while stocks have not lowered.

And then, I'm sure another temple will come around along with the ninjago movie.

Overall a disappointing investment due to circumstances, not the set itself (a great one). However if you planned to keep it for 2 or 3 years in stock after EOL it should perform well but for such a long time I would better invest in some other themes or invest in some other ninjago sets for a shorter time.

As always, the buy-in price will affect everyone's level of comfort... These went on clearance in some physical Walmart Canada stores for 50% off in 2015. I know some folks in the US also found these at significant discount. When you're buy-in is low enough, sets like these are pretty good ways to diversify your brickfolio!

I do agree it's no Temple of Airjitzu, but the price difference, at least here in Canada, makes this a worthwhile medium term hold. Plus, it's an outstanding build, play value is high and it displays very nicely.

6 hours ago, gregpj said:

As always, the buy-in price will affect everyone's level of comfort... These went on clearance in some physical Walmart Canada stores for 50% off in 2015. I know some folks in the US also found these at significant discount. When you're buy-in is low enough, sets like these are pretty good ways to diversify your brickfolio!

Yeah ok and if you have the sets for free it's a strike... :)

I consider the future value/potential of a set compared with its RRP and how high it can climb when EOL. How much I can pay is ok to calculate the ROI but it's the same thing with all lego sets !

If you can get some with 50% it's better but that's obvious and that it's not an argument to estimate the potential of this set IMHO. ;)

Edited by biniou

20 minutes ago, biniou said:

Yeah ok and if you have the sets for free it's a strike... :)

I consider the future value/potential of a set compared with its RRP and how high it can climb when EOL. How much I can pay is ok to calculate the ROI but it's the same thing with all lego sets !

If you can get some with 50% it's better but that's obvious and that it's not an argument to estimate the potential of this set IMHO. ;)

100% agree... I won't invest in a set that I don't think has potential (of course, that is subjective), and I think this set has "some" potential given how lovely of a set it is. When it went 50% off, I didn't hesitate to grab a couple for a little diversity. I wouldn't have paid RRP for it as an investment.

Yeah ok and if you have the sets for free it's a strike...

If you can get some with 50% it's better but that's obvious and that it's not an argument to estimate the potential of this set IMHO.

I guess my approach is, what is the current Market Value of a set relative to my purchase price. In the case of this set, I picked them all up at $72 (plus tax) while current selling price on eBay is between $110-$130. In this case it's a no brainer. While I understand that MV is hovering around RRP, I've seen plenty of sets where that is not the case. So in my case, if I see a modest 20% increase in price after retirement I'll be content.

But I also agree that I'd likely not pick up this set at RRP. But being a stock item at TRU B&M, discounts of 20-30% were fairly easy to come by.