9468 - Vampyre Castle

nolanfan34

This board seems to rate this one as a winner, given the seemingly pending EOL this spring. So, simple question. At what price do you see this a must buy? Are you sticking to the 20% rule, or making exceptions closer to retail? In my area at least, you can still find a few of these in store at Walmart/Target, so I think there is still a good shot at picking them up for $80 or lower very soon. Thoughts?

A lot of people waited and waited for The Harry Potter Castle 4842 and the Potter Alley 10217, The Imperial Shuttle and the POTC Black Pearl and Queen Revenge to go on sale or clearance, now alot of them are sorry they never got any. Just check what you could of got them for and what they are going for on ebay now. Check your Toys R Us stores the sale is still good until Saturday, you can get 2 Vampire Castles for about $86.00 each, The Castle will be a $200 and More, pretty quick once retired.

You could always pick some up now and hold them. You'd have 90 days to decide on whether or not to return them/wait for a sale, and even then you could always buy them again and restart the clock. You missed several opportunities to grab them in the 80's over the past few months. Don't let indecision prevent you from getting any. Even at full retail and paying sales tax (something you don't have to do, you can get them for a few dollars under retail delivered/tax free right now from amazon) you're almost certain to make a decent return. I know if I was personally in a position to buy I would go to a local Toys R Us today and buy 2. That would likely be the best deal available for the average forum member.

A lot of people waited and waited for The Harry Potter Castle 4842 and the Potter Alley 10217, The Imperial Shuttle and the POTC Black Pearl and Queen Revenge to go on sale or clearance, now alot of them are sorry they never got any. Just check what you could of got them for and what they are going for on ebay now. Check your Toys R Us stores the sale is still good until Saturday, you can get 2 Vampire Castles for about $86.00 each, The Castle will be a $200 and More, pretty quick once retired.

We hope it will be $200 once retired. Remember there are no guarantee's that this set will perform that well. While I think this set is a winner, I'm not positive we will see it get to $200, at least quickly. And it all depends how you define quickly. For some quickly is 12 months, for others it's 1 month. Time will tell with this set, but I agree it is a safe set to purchase as an investment, especially if you can find it in the $80-90 price range.

• Like 1

Once these are retired I can't see one reason why this set won't shoot up in price, look at the $40 Zombies selling for around $100 already, now there are more Vampire Castle's made but this set will always be a winner, along with the Haunted House. The people that don't get some of these will be crying the Blues when they can't get them even at a $100. I have 37 of them and hoping to find some more at the 6 Toys R Us stores that I will be going to Friday.

We had the Black Pearl and Queen Annes go on clearence at a local Wal Mart in October of last year, maybe 15-20 of each set and got them for $69 and $79 each respectively. Should have gotten mutliples in hind sight. Also found the Police Station and Harbor for $43 and $49. Clearance at Wal Mart is great but the windows are so small to hook up as sets go quick.

• 4 weeks later...

I looked back through the forums and noticed there were a few posts talking about sets that look like the original seals have been broken and then replaced with other genuine lego seals on top. Nobody ever seemed to know why, but the reason I wanted to bring this up is I was wondering if people have noticed a huge problem with the Vampyre Castle having this issue. I was in Target the other day and saw one that had the issue, then I purchased one from yoyo.com and it too had the issue and then I ordered 2 more from Amazon and they too had the issue. I now have 3 sets that look like the seals were broken and replaced with genuine lego seals from 2 different retailers. Has anybody else noticed this on their Vampyre Castles and does anybody know why/how this happens? I have enclosed pictures from one of my boxes.

I haven't had this issue with the Vampyre Castle, but I just received a Forest Police Station and Ghost Train from Amazon with seals that looked exactly like that. It was as if someone had pulled the original seals off and then replaced new seals. I returned both of my sets to Amazon and have new one's on the way. Hopefully they do not look like this again.

I have two Vampyre Castles (ordered from different UK suppliers), both arrived with seals that looked like they'd been lifted. Saw the same thing on a third set found in a local supermarket, so this does seem to be a fairly wide reaching thing. Of the two I have, one's been opened and built and I'm pleased to report everything was there. I haven't opened the second, but because of my positive experience with the first, and the fact I've seen it on 3 out of 3 sets, I'm assuming this is just an issue with how the seals have been applied to this box... maybe a problem at one of the factories leading to a faulty batch?

Thanks Rich. I read on one of the other forums that somebody contacted Lego about it and Lego said those were official Lego seals and that there wasn't anything to worry about, but I am like you. I don't want to take any chances. Unfortunately, I also discovered that other people have gotten boxes in worse condition with the same problem when they sent them back to amazon, so I am not sure what I am going to do. Let me know if your sets come back with good seals and maybe I will try to do the same with mine.

Guest AnnexBrett

I looked back through the forums and noticed there were a few posts talking about sets that look like the original seals have been broken and then replaced with other genuine lego seals on top. Nobody ever seemed to know why, but the reason I wanted to bring this up is I was wondering if people have noticed a huge problem with the Vampyre Castle having this issue.

I was in Target the other day and saw one that had the issue, then I purchased one from yoyo.com and it too had the issue and then I ordered 2 more from Amazon and they too had the issue. I now have 3 sets that look like the seals were broken and replaced with genuine lego seals from 2 different retailers.

Has anybody else noticed this on their Vampyre Castles and does anybody know why/how this happens?

I have enclosed pictures from one of my boxes.

I got 2 from the UK just now and I have almost the same thing with the seals. The difference is there are extra seals on the back of the box sticked right where the normal ones ends. Looks like an extra long seal. I think these are being applied by machines and something must have gone wrong with the adjustment on the assembly line.

BTW the 2 sets are almost perfect condition from amazon.co.uk

Thanks Rich. I read on one of the other forums that somebody contacted Lego about it and Lego said those were official Lego seals and that there wasn't anything to worry about, but I am like you. I don't want to take any chances. Unfortunately, I also discovered that other people have gotten boxes in worse condition with the same problem when they sent them back to amazon, so I am not sure what I am going to do. Let me know if your sets come back with good seals and maybe I will try to do the same with mine.

Hey I got the new sets after sending the others back to Amazon. The new sets were in perfect, pristine condition :)

• 1 month later...

So I've picked up a few of these at the $70 Walmart discount thinking these will be a good investment. So I was crusing around the LEGO Shop at Home site and decided just for fun to check them out. Put one in my cart and tested to see how many it would let me buy and I could put it up to 99! Even getting through the cart to checkout phase! I tried a bunch of other items and non would go higher than 5. I'm thinking about returning them. Someone talk me down!

• Like 1