Ninjago...YES or NO?

TheLegoGuido

tough call - my hubby's son loves Ninjago -so I guess if you look at kids of today being AFOLs of tomorrow and the nostalgia attached to childhood favourites then maybe a yes ... but it doesn't seem to move off the shelves here so quickly and I've seen some stock start to be put on clearance in our local target ... LEGO hardly ever makes it to clearance status around here so I always see it as a sign the theme is not so popular or over saturated... but maybe they just overstocked/overpriced in hard economic times?

• 5 weeks later...

Can't go wrong with Ninjago! One of the most popular Lego sets and definitely the coolest out of all the themes besides Star Wars. Now Monster Fighter and LOTR is slowly coming up IMO. But Ninjago is a winner so stock up while you can. Very hard to see them I'm stock and I live in LA CA. Every walmart target and TRU is always sold out of those booster packs or spinners.

My advice would be some of the big sets (Fire Temple & such) and the Ninja character spinners. Ninja Kai from the first series of spinners is already selling for as much as 3x retail value on BrickLink! And I saw one as high as $70 on eBay! The skeleton guys don't seem to get much attention, neither does Garmadon for some reason. Llyod ZX is right behind Ninja Kai in value. (Little bugger is selling like crazy!)

My advice would be some of the big sets (Fire Temple & such) and the Ninja character spinners.

Ninja Kai from the first series of spinners is already selling for as much as 3x retail value on BrickLink! And I saw one as high as $70 on eBay!

The skeleton guys don't seem to get much attention, neither does Garmadon for some reason.

Llyod ZX is right behind Ninja Kai in value. (Little bugger is selling like crazy!)

Spinners are winners...

• 3 weeks later...

Ninjago is indeed a very thought provoking set. Is it a long term hit, or a flash in the pan? There are arguments for both sides, so I think it is best to go with your gut on this one. Although I don't personally care for ninjas and dragons enough to collect them heavily, I know there are a lot of people out there who do. I will be purchasing some Ninjago to sit on for a couple years. Think about it this way... The theme might ultimately lose popularity over time, but the sets that are cool right now, will still be cool sets later. If a LEGO fan discovers the Epic Dragon Battle set for the first time in a few years when it is EOL, it will still blow their mind, and they will pay $250 (or whatever) to get one and build it. Just my two cents. :)

I think that, thanks in part to the popularity of the recent NINJAGO theme, the older NINJA sets (1998-2000) have increased in demand and value. These were already popular and valuable sets to begin with, now (again, probably due to NINJAGO) these sets seem to be getting bought up by all kinds of collectors. If anybody here has NINJA sets, now might be that 'golden opportunity' to auction them off!

• 2 weeks later...

After getting good previews of most 2013 sets, I'd say Ninjago is a solid investment. All the green box sets should do amazing in the aftermarket years to come. I have a feeling sets like Fangpyre Wrecking Ball, Mech, and Truck are going to shock us. Of course Destiny's Bounty, Epic Dragon Battle, sonic raider, Fire Temple and Lightning Dragon will do well. But I also think sets like Kai's Blade Cycle will also do well. So most of the line from seemingly overstocked spinners to Nuckal's ATV will do well.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...